How's this for a 360?

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
Alcoholism

[quote author=TundraTire link=topic=10247.msg29639#msg29639 date=1576465755]
Legal?  [color=red]Yes[/color]

Safe? [color=red]Yes[/color]

Smart? [color=red]Yes[/color]

If you were the owner of XYZ airlines, and you saw one of your pilots do that, how would you react? [color=red]Happy I hired real pilots that know how to handle a plane in a situation[/color]

[/quote]

Colonel

[i]Skilled[/i] pilots aren't the problem.

[i]Unskilled[/i] pilots are the problem.

Jesus Christ, I can't believe we're even having this discussion.

Tell me again, that the four bar in Colgan 3407 was "fatigued",
or that the guy in AF447 that held the stick all the way back for
3.5 minutes did a "Good Job".
TundraTire

To quote another pilot:

"The hardest part of flying, is knowing when to say no."

Or something like that.
Colonel

So, you think [i]unskilled[/i] pilots aren't the problem - [i]skilled[/i] pilots are the problem?

I blame the parents.

[img width=500 height=281]https://i.cbc.ca/1.3014702.1495118278!/ ... ngines.jpg[/img]

[img width=500 height=329]https://content.fortune.com/wp-content/ ... 2-crop.jpg[/img]

[quote]the Air Canada airplane descended to 59 feet above the ground before it began its climb, and that it missed colliding with one of the aircraft on the taxiway by [u]14 feet[/u][/quote]

14 fucking feet away from the worst disaster in aviation history.  Now, [i]that's[/i] a problem.
Chuck Ellsworth

[quote]To quote another pilot:

Or something like that.[/quote]

That was me.

And if a pilot thinks doing a turn over water at one hundred feet is dangerous I would say no to hiring him/her.
TundraTire

It's interesting how uncivilized this conversation becomes, when certain individuals don't want to entertain differing opinions.  I posted originally, in response to the post by Liquid Charlie questioning how high they were.  Immediately I was chastised for questioning the "skill" of the pilots.  Now, in my opinion, judgement is also a skill.  So did these pilots exercise good judgement? 

Also interesting is the fixation to blame everything that's wrong in aviation on Air Canada and Air France.  Unlike some axe-bearing members, I don't keep a ready supply of incidents to constantly post, but how many "skilled" (aerobatic) pilots have augered in over the years, while showing their judgement and skill?

[img width=500 height=376]https://media.spokesman.com/photos/2019 ... 46e482a5a6[/img]
TundraTire

[quote author=Chuck Ellsworth link=topic=10247.msg29645#msg29645 date=1576510295]
[quote]To quote another pilot:

Or something like that.[/quote]

That was me.

And if a pilot thinks doing a turn over water at one hundred feet is dangerous I would say no to hiring him/her.
[/quote]

With all due respect, I have no doubt that anyone in my particular company could perform this maneuver.  After all, everyone does it a couple times a year in the simulator.  However, in an airline environment, you are paid to mitigate risk.  This, isn't that.

If I was considering working for you, and found out you condoned this decision making from your pilots, I would respectfully decline.
Colonel

I think it’s an admirable goal to have everyone at the
same skill level.  I get that.

Novel idea:  how about we accomplish that worthy
objective by increasing the skill of the weak pilots
instead of shitting on and handicapping the good
pilots?

Read some George Orwell to learn about the world
that I don’t want to live in, and try not to burst into
tears so easily.  This thread - and everyone’s lives -
are not all about your feelings.
TundraTire

The only person getting upset here, is you Andy.

Do you go around your house starting fights with yourself and yelling at FOX news?

Get over yourself.
Colonel

Whatever.

Do me a favor.  Get a clearance before you land,
and try to land on what you’re cleared to.

That would be a big improvement for you guys.