Good Moral Character

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
Colonel

http://aviationdaily.news/2019/01/24/fa ... -shortage/

[quote]The ATP rating is the holy grail of achievement and key to that sought after job in the cockpit of an airliner. Most of the requirements are straightforward: 1500 hours of experience, training, written test, and a checkride. It’s all spelled out in the FARs under ATP requirements.

Scroll down on that page to section “C” and you’ll find the single barrier keeping so many pilots with a logbook full of time away from that dream job: “An applicant must be of good moral character.”

According to Mike Hunt, FAA designated pilot examiner (DPE), “I turn away so many high time general aviation pilots due that pesky rule. The lack of an affordable and clear career path to becoming an airline pilot forces people to find creative ways to make ends meet and sometimes they wind up breaking laws while chasing their dream.”

Aviation Daily News: “What kinds of criminals are we talking about?”

Mike Hunt: “Well, there was this young lady once with pretty blonde hair who had been arrested for prostitution 37 times. She told me her dream was to someday fly triple engine jets, write books, and teach. It wasn’t easy telling her no as she was putting her clothes back on in my office.”[/quote]

JW Scud

Hey....,would you consider some of the people up here that you dealt with over the years as not having this quality?

Seriously though, I did read about one pilot violated for breaking that reg and losing his ATPL, mooned someone from a DC-3.
Colonel

Don't get me going.

I suspect the FAA likes it vague, so it has some leeway.  A good example of this
is that if you are a convicted felon, you cannot (legally) purchase a firearm.

Personally, I think that is not quite legal, and should be litigated at the Supreme
Court, because it is double jeopardy.  See, if someone is convicted of a felony,
and does their time, after their punishment for the felony is complete, they continue
to be punished for the rest of their lives in this manner.  That's double jeopardy.

Even if you don't like felons, the law should not be perverted.  Like some bureaucrats
we know.

The law must be applied equally to all, otherwise we live in a banana republic.  You
know, run by the Elite Left for their benefit.
Nark1

I disagree about felons not being able to purchase firearms after conviction. 
There are always conditions of release, like parole.  I’d argue a felony conviction is a life time punishment, with partial may be remanded to a nicely decorated building. Unless you’re a celebrity, then it’s a beautifully decorated building. 

The same should be applied to voting rights, which vary from state to state here. 
Also, pedophiles. 
Colonel

I think I did not communicate clearly.

I have no problem with felons receiving a lifetime
ban on firearm possession or voting, for that matter,
but this punishment must clearly be stated in the
legislation in respect of the particular felony.

Dogpiling on is arguably a violation of the Bill of
Rights because of the lack of due process.
David MacRay

[quote author=JW Scud link=topic=10070.msg28916#msg28916 date=1569716138]

Seriously though, I did read about one pilot violated for breaking that reg and losing his ATPL, mooned someone from a DC-3.
[/quote]

Bummer, I'm glad I did not work up to that point just to fail that test.

What happened to him?
JW Scud

[quote author=JW Scud link=topic=10070.msg28941#msg28941 date=1570014488]
[quote author=David MacRay link=topic=10070.msg28930#msg28930 date=1569885547]
[quote author=JW Scud link=topic=10070.msg28916#msg28916 date=1569716138]

[/quote]

Bummer, I'm glad I did not work up to that point just to fail that test.

What happened to him?
[/quote]
[/quote]

Last I heard, he became a male stripper.
David MacRay

So a promotion? I might not be qualified for that either.  :-[

Funny how I will drive back to a store if someone gives me too much change but showing someone my buttocks is indicative of poor moral charicter.