Middle Aged Man Flies Tailwheel, Laughter Ensues

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
Slick Goodlin

[quote author=David MacRay link=topic=8901.msg24513#msg24513 date=1535574364]
Only 15? Sounds low.
[/quote]
I’m an optimist.

Colonel

[img width=500 height=418][/img]
David MacRay

That's awesome!

Defectionshot, update?
Eric Janson

[quote author=Liquid Charlie link=topic=8901.msg24508#msg24508 date=1535545666]
Garmin is like apple - you can't fuck with it. I like a system where you can learn the fine details and make it work even if the destination isn't in the data base. Universal was magic that way. You could build airports, runways and approaches (all under the premise of VFR  >:D ) now that was a system -- even on a VFR night having vertical profile to the ice on a lake in the arctic was magic. I had never used a Garmin system until about 4 years ago and while I don't have any 1000 experience anything prior to that was mickey mouse and not real user friendly, even the 750 was not great. Even current position is hidden in sub menus and to pull up either lat or long crossing coordinates fug get about it. I guess that's why garmin is only found in "small" aircraft so far.
[/quote]
Useful skill to be able to create your own approaches in whatever system you use.

I regularly fly in and out of an airport that is in our database but the ILS isn't. We need to create the waypoints and manually tune the ILS (normally when you select an ILS approach from the database the ILS is automatically tuned).
I make this part of a Line Check as it useful knowledge and a good refresher of things people haven't done for years.
Colonel

#fakenews alert

Someone on crack claimed that Garmin's technology development
was powered by defense.

30 seconds of googling turned this up:

[quote]Mar 05, [b]2008[/b]

Garmin has chosen STMicroelectronics’ Cartesio automotive-grade application processor for use in a range of new navigation systems, including the nüvi 205. The Cartesio is a system-on-a-chip (SoC), with an embedded GPS for navigation as well as telematics functions. It was specifically designed to meet the rigorous demands of the [b]automotive market[/b].

Leading makers of portable navigation devices (PNDs) have begun to design products that use SoCs that combine host-processing capability with GPS functionality, rather than implement the processor and GPS as discrete functions, according to ST. This approach, which improves function and reliability, is expected to be used in more than 40% of all the PNDs shipped in 2008, with even faster growth expected in 2009 and 2010

“This adoption of Cartesio by Garmin, a world leader in portable navigation, is a testament to ST’s ability to deliver cutting-edge [b]car infotainment solutions that meet automotive quality standards[/b],” said Domenico Rossi, general manager of ST’s Car Radio and Multimedia Division. “Cartesio is currently one of the most integrated solutions on the navigation and telematics market, providing high performance, while also meeting the cost and space constraints demanded by leading [b]automotive OEMs[/b].”[/quote]

So, [b]TEN YEARS AGO[/b] it was pretty clear that Garmin's technology
was derived from the automotive industry.

When someone says sometime so obviously silly and wrong, I
have to conclude that they are either:

1) monumentally stupid, or
2) pushing false propaganda that they [i]know[/i] is wrong  #fakenews
David MacRay

Part of it is people like to trust a source and share what we presume to be knowledge. Then we gravitate to others that share a belief.

Also we like to hang on to things and ideas we like. "Piper makes a great fabric covered plane." It was probably true back when it happened.
Colonel

[quote]people like to trust a source[/quote]

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

Can anyone spot the irony?

[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irony]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irony[/url]

[quote]event in which what appears, on the surface, to be the case, [b]differs radically from what is actually the case[/b].[/quote]

Are Canadians not allowed to notice irony?  Or just not allowed to mention it?

Remember, I'm [i]really stupid[/i] compared to say a Canadian government
bureaucrat or pilot, that is a huge fan of these two people above, which
I understand is 99% of Canada.

[quote]Laughter Ensues[/quote]

Indeed.
David MacRay

That's not about garmin rag wings.
DeflectionShot

[quote]Defectionshot, update?[/quote]

So far so slow. I still haven't mastered it yet. Lots of training gaps... what with bad weather and other commitments. That said it's still worth the exercise. If I was going to give any advice I would try and take a week off and concentrate on flying every day (too many job pressures for me right now to do that though). You will probably pick it up a lot faster rather than trying to do it on alternate weekends. And it will save you some cash.

Also thanks for the tips above, much appreciated!
David MacRay

Mastered it?

Fly several times a day for a few years and you should get pretty good.

Love,
Dave.
hypocrite, tricycle PPL, emotional over eater, failed rock star.

PS, you probably would have just wasted that extra money on bills.