“Flying the P-39”

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
Slick Goodlin

Often when I’m doing something boring and mindless like washing the dishes, I’ll put on something from this guy’s channel:

Check out the weird spin recovery.  I know the Airacobra was slightly feared for it’s assumed low moment of inertia but I wouldn’t think using aileron against the spin would be much help.  I guess that’s why I don’t fly one.

cgzro

Pretty interesting. I like the concern the guy has the first time landing a tricycle gear "job".

The spin recovery is interesting, I've never seen aileron out of the spin as a recovery technique, usually its aileron into the spin or neutral aileron.

Slick Goodlin

[quote author=cgzro link=topic=8349.msg23083#msg23083 date=1524914134]
I've never seen aileron out of the spin as a recovery technique
[/quote]
Neither had I.  I do appreciate them putting pro-spin inputs in there to stabilize it, waiting for the slow period of the spin caught me off guard, then the aileron out of the spin was truly weird.  Must work, I guess, and with the amount of manpower they had available and what they had to accomplish I assume this technique was borne out through extensive testing. (this part of the video is around 14:30 for those who don't want to watch the whole thing.

The other thing that stood out to me was how familiar the narrator's voice seemed.  He sure sounded like one of the Tracy boys.
[img width=500 height=393]https://i.pinimg.com/originals/2a/e2/0d ... 4cf663.jpg[/img]
cgzro

Yes, bizarre, I just can't see how aileron opposite the spin/roll could possibly work, it just increases the AOA and drag on the inside wing and usually does a lovely job of flattening out the spin. I'd sure like to know why. As you say they must have studied i it quite thoroughly. Perhaps something gyroscopic related to that big centre mounted engine etc?

Andy, you ever hear of this?