Avgas Quarantined in Canada

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
BCPilotguy

[url=https://copanational.org/en/2018/02/15/ ... arantined/]https://copanational.org/en/2018/02/15/ ... arantined/[/url]

I hope your airplane's tanks are full.

[quote]Avgas supplies across the country have been quarantined because of an unknown quality control problem with fuels delivered since late December. [/quote]

The refinery responsible isn't releasing what exactly is wrong with the fuel. The Esso refinery in Edmonton produces all of the avgas in Canada. This strikes me as an awfully weak link in the logistical chain that keeps nearly every non-turbine powered airplane in the country flying.

Chris

Damnit, and I was going to go to Mo's fly-in on the Ottawa River next week. At least my club's tank is clear.
cgzro

cynd fuel seems unafected so top up here first.

My understanding (from informal conversation) was that fuel was contaminated in transport not during refining.
Colonel

Just got an email, CYSH is still selling 100LL

[img width=500 height=408][/img]

Jesus, look at the webcam - that wx looks horrible! 

I'm going to hop on the motorcycle and ride to the airport.

[font=verdana][size=14px]171853Z 21003KT 10SM CLR 15/02 A3016 RMK AO2 SLP215 T01500017[/size][/font]

PS  Not really into golf, but had a nice meal yesterday
at the restaurant overlooking the 18th green. 

[img width=500 height=375][/img]

You'll recognize the course, it was on TV all last weekend,
Bill Murray was there wearing some really weird pants.
John Swallow

The talk is about failing conductivity tests and the ability of the fuel to dissipate static electricity.  Would that have any effect of fuel already in your tanks...?

From the 'net:

These tests are critical to the safe handling of explosive liquids. If the electrical conductivity is sufficiently high as determined by the instruments, electrical charges dissipate fast enough to prevent a dangerous accumulation of static electricity in the fuel. If the electrical conductivity of the fuel is relatively low, the static charges accumulate and can lead to an explosion or fire.

If the problem is with refueling of aircraft or topping off of fuel tanks, should there be a problem with an aircraft with fuel in the tank?