Space X Falcon Heavy Rocket

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
ScudRunner-d95

This is one of the coolest videos of the boosters landing back at the cape.

[facebook][/facebook]

ScudRunner-d95

[youtube][/youtube]
Chuck Ellsworth

I watched it live and it was breathtaking, and it is really nice to see the USA showing the world why they are the most powerful and advanced country on earth.

We on the other hand have a prime minister who embarrasses anyone with an IQ higher than a moron by making headlines correcting some woman about her use of gender terms.

Fortunately we have the USA to lean on for important things.

There that should get the lefties going.  :)
cgzro

I doubt a human pilot could do that. The feedback loop is likely faster than humans can do.
This is a glimpse of whats comming in aviation.
Chuck Ellsworth

Don't say that on Avcanada because Rockie will jump all over you even suggesting computers are going to replace pilots.

By the way I spent two years flying with Patrick Baudry who was one of the pilots on the Space Shuttle and the computers that flew that were mind boggling, there was about twenty minutes during the reentry when it was shielded from any contact with earth in a heat shield around it and they couldn't see or hear anything during that time.
John Swallow

The lack of computer power that put man on the moon is indeed mind boggling. 

Scarey, when considered in light of that available today.  The following two quotes were lifted from the article indicated at the bottom:

“These ingenious computer systems were no more powerful than a pocket calculator…”

“The so-called Apollo Guidance Computer (AGC) used a real time operating system, which enabled astronauts to enter simple commands by typing in pairs of nouns and verbs, to control the spacecraft. It was more basic than the electronics in modern toasters that have computer controlled stop/start/defrost buttons. It had approximately 64Kbyte of memory and operated at 0.043MHz.”

Given the progress that has been made in computing power in the nearly fifty decades since 1969, can you imagine asking anyone today to attempt a trip to the moon using sixties technology?

The link:
http://www.computerweekly.com/feature/A ... n-the-moon
Eric Janson

[quote author=cgzro link=topic=7922.msg21987#msg21987 date=1518465568]
I doubt a human pilot could do that. The feedback loop is likely faster than humans can do.
This is a glimpse of whats comming in aviation.
[/quote]

I operate highly automated computer controlled aircraft for a living. Given all the strange things I've had happen (in some cases human intervention was needed to recover to a normal condition) - I'd say we are a long way from this happening.

Above each Pilot there are 2 panels of circuit breakers which we can use to reset various computers as required. Best of all there is an Emergency Cancel button that will instantly clear any fault indication along with the associated warning sounds. We use this button to stop nuisance warnings where a system keeps generating a fault which then clears then returns.

All computers can do is take a snap shot of the aircraft condition at any given moment in time. They cannot think.

We have a Red Bulletin in our manuals about an uncommanded nose down input that cannot be over-ridden by side stick input. This has happened in real life. The procedure is to disable 2 out of 3 computers to put the aircraft into alternate law which disables a number of protections allowing manual control to be restored.

The level of reliability is simply not there and as the complexity increases so do the number of failure cases that need to be catered for. We still don't have automated cars operating on anything other than small scale tests and that's at least an order of magnitude simpler than automating a passenger aircraft.

Based on my own experiences I remain skeptical.

Congratulations to Space X - was incredible to see. Roadster was a nice touch!
Chuck Ellsworth

For sure computers still have a long way to go before they would be safe enough to have no pilots to fly the airplane when needed.

However in the grand scheme of things technology has expanded at an astonishing speed in the last hundred years, compared to the thousands of years before.

Hell just in my lifetime aviation has leaped forward at an astonishing speed when I started my instrument flight training we had to know morse code and the airways were the  Aural Radio Range, and on the approach we had to identify the aural null....while flying in the twilight side of the range leg we were on.

I remember when we first got VOR airways and thought we had gone to heaven it was so good.  :) 

Obviously I must be getting old.  :)

cgzro

The technology that was so impressive was not a traditional feed back loop guidance system that we have all used. This is a demonstration of massive sensors, visual feedback, ai and parallel convex optimizers, I dont think those have been flown before except perhaps drones. Those optimizers consider hundreds of thousands of inputs and constraints in milliseconds. Only a few years ago this took minutes...thats why I said glimpse of the future.