Spot 50% rebate Dec 2017

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
David MacRay

Saw this in the bass pro shops flyer. Flyer said $94.99 after rebate, might be even less because online it has them for $149 before the rebate.

http://www.basspro.com/shop/en/spot-gen ... pot-3#tab1

https://basspro.scene7.com/is/content/B ... F33320.pdf

Liquid Charlie

I looked into it and it's a mail in rebate -- what a pain in the ass and 149 was likely the USD cost. I have a personal unit and it still is the cheapest way to go but for everyday use they do not take the wear and tear if you are using them for tracking aircraft doing many legs a day. They simply wear out and I find we are replacing the units pretty much on a yearly basis.

My personal unit is more for my boating excursions and I don't usually turn it on but is attached to my PFD. It's a toss to have good batteries when you need them or have the unit on and draining power.
John Swallow

LC:  I've used SPOT 3 for about 2 1/2 years and it's still going strong.  I relied upon batteries for the first year or so, but now energize it from a panel mounted power point. 

Aircraft Spruce (Canada) has them on now for 1/2 price which would bring them down $85 plus tax and tax etc... 

Nark1

I looked at getting a SPOT, however I was turned away with the idea of having to purchase a subscription.
I bought an ACR PLB.  One shot purchase price, and now I can forget about it, and still be picked up (5 year batteries I think).
John Swallow

Nark:  I was into the site but couldn't ascertain if you could activate a tracking mode without a yearly subscription to somebody.  Does the "one shot purchase price" include that or does it only include emergency service only?