Kit plane suggestion

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
Nark1

I've been toying with the idea of building a plane.
I've got a hard-on to power it with a turbine.  I've found a few turbo-props that are suitable. (I.e., less than 100K)  They range from 120-200shp.

So there is the first requirement, well desire.

Second would be a solid IFR machine.  I already have a gravel bar hopper.  At the moment I have 2 gravel bar hoppers, but I digress. 
An RV10 is a good candidate.  Someone already had the idea and blazed a trail for me.  [youtube][/youtube]

A turbine long-eze/var-ez?

What are some thoughts?

Colonel

A BD-5J recently taxied by me and took off.  It gave me a chubby.

Eric wants a twin-jet Cri-Cri.  That gives me a headache.
DonutHole

Iv-p
Tailwind W10

200 hp sounds awfully light for an RV-10 as it's built for a O-540, 235 to 260 hp.  If you have a higher hp engine option you'd probably be better off that way.  You've also suggested other two seaters, so you might also look at the RV-14, which is better suited to 200 hp.  (or RV-7 for that matter, the 14 is just a bit bigger.)

The Long's / Vari's plans aren't available from any official supplier any more.  They also had an issue with any contaminant on the canard (rain) causing it to stall alarmingly early, so the IFR capabilities were a little suspect.  I've heard the issue has been fixed by a better airfoil selection for the canard, so if you go this way and find plans second hand / ebay, do your homework on design updates.  You might also consider the current Cozy 3 and Cozy 4 designs.  The plans are supplied by Aircraft Spruce.  These are 3 and 4 seat Long variations, but the back seats are for kids really.  I've always been more partial to side by side seating over tandem, but that's your choice.  The pushers may limit your prop choices, again do the homework.

If all-wood scratch building appeals, you might look into the GP-4.  It's a little 2 seat hot rod built for a 200 hp Lycoming, in the same vein as the 2 seat Lanceairs and Glassairs.

A couple of years ago at the Camrose fly-in breakfast I saw a PT-6 powered Murphy Moose.  That was one bitchin airplane, but I don't think it'd be what you're looking for, given you're current steeds.

If you buy a copy of Kitplanes on the newstand, you can access they're buyers guide for a month.  Could be worth it to see most of what's currently available.

Sounds like a cool project in the making.

Cheers
Gerry
Chris

[quote author=Tailwind W10 link=topic=7588.msg21014#msg21014 date=1512510426][font=verdana][size=2]These are 3 and 4 seat Long variations, but the back seats are for kids really.[/size][size=2px]  [/size][/font][/quote]

The back seats on the Velocity XL are huge. There's even a 3 wide bench seat option.

How many seats do you need?

The problem with a turbine pusher is that with the lighter engine you may not be able to bring the CG back enough without extending the engine mounts, which puts the prop closer to the ground on rotation. If you've got the budget you might be able to do a Velocity Twin with a pair of 200 shp engines.

[img width=500 height=257]https://www.aopa.org/-/media/images/leg ... B9E442D42B[/img]

[img]http://www.velocityaircraft.com/images/kit/1down.jpg[/img]
Colonel

Problem with all the kitplanes is that they take [i]so long[/i]
to build.  An ex-student of mine has been (taught him to fly
in the early 90's) building a Velocity for [i]over 20 years[/i], and
it still isn't flying yet.

Get something from a quick-build kit (so you know
what you're getting) that's almost done, if possible.

Another friend of mine (died recently) spent almost 30
years building a Glasair III.  No typo.
Slick Goodlin

You could keep an eye on Barnstormers and the like for a complete or nearly complete Harmon Rocket, then swap in a turbine to make it the first Harmon Missile...
Colonel

Can you still get the Walters or has GE killed them?
Nark1

Thanks for the ideas.  Many of which I haven't heard of, which is the point of the thread. 

As for Walter, there is a dude in Poland (I think, maybe  Czech Rep) that has them for sale. He advertises them as 100 ish TBO. Which means they are timed out. 

I'm not in a hurry to build the aircraft, however 20+ years I should seriously rethink it... 

I have a few hours to kill, I'll be spending most of it on kitplanes.com and barnstormers.
Colonel

A couple years ago, I remember someone selling a partly-completed
(aren't they all?) wooden kit plane - Emeraude IIRC.

It had been started in [b]1964[/b].  That's 53 years ago, now.

Those are the kinds of timelines homebuilders work on - projects
stretch on for decade after decade.  And that's ok, if you don't
want to fly, and just want to build.

No wonder the quick-build RV's are so popular with people
that actually want to fly  :D