Questions for fighter pilots.

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
cgzro

Well my last name has a hyphen in it and a contest director used the term in a derogatory manner when by dropping my keys (during engine start) I caused a 10 minute delay and the contest hold to empty of planes and hence the nightmare where the airapace was dead.

David MacRay

I was right, I did like reading it. Decent story.
cgzro

That was George Coy, guy that imported all the russian planes 25 years ago.
Lots if interesting folks doing airshows and contests in New York, some quite colorful, and they love to tease.
One of the guys had vast amounts of titanium in him after a horrific crash and burn and was regaled incessantly with 6 million dollar man jokes and sound effects whenever he walked by. I'm sure he had some insulting call sign.
mcrit

Musket might have been a PFT call sign.

In the CF there are two systems for assigning domestic call signs.  Some units go with an overall unit/mission identifier followed by a pilot number.  For example Bandit20.  Bandit identifies it as coming from B flight in Moose Jaw.  20 is the individual pilot. 
Other units use an overall mission/unit identifier followed by an aircraft identifier.  For example Oiler346 would be a Herc out of Winnipeg.  Oiler identifies it as from 435 Sqn and 346 is the last three numbers of the aircraft reg.  Rescue346 would be the same aircraft on a SAR mission.

John Swallow

Yes, Musket may have been a Portage call sign.  I e-mailed a friend who instructed there but haven't received a reply yet...
David MacRay

Thanks everyone.

I have a hat from 435 Winnipeg, bought it when we were doing spotters training in one of those Hercs going by Rescue.
Colonel

I'm rather fond of the checkerboard:

[img width=500 height=335]http://www.dhc-2.com/23705_CL-13B_Gordo ... _final.jpg[/img]

[img width=494 height=500]https://i.pinimg.com/originals/b7/52/d4 ... de1603.jpg[/img]
John Swallow

I got several dozen hours in a 441 bird (591) in '62 during the Guynemer Shoot.  The checkerboard was a nice fin addition.
John Swallow

Andrew:  just heard from my friend down east. 

"Musket" was used as a call sign prefix in Portage.  It's conceivable that it was also used in Cold Lake by AETE or somesuch...

John
Chuck Ellsworth

The Sabre sure is a pretty little bird isn't it.

One of my clients had three of them and I wish I had had the time to fly one.

He also had a flyable F100.

And the best of all he had an airworthy Huey Cobra, I would have sodomised myself to fly that but I just never managed to fly any of them.