One of my finest moments on Avcanada.

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
Chuck Ellsworth

When Rockie posted this:::

[quote]
[color=rgb(50, 61, 79)][font=lucida grande][size=1.35em]Well then, I guess I’m all alone in being wrong. Looking forward to the next entertaining bit of flying in a large commercial aircraft. Who will it be?[/size][/font][/color][/quote]

And I posted this:::

[quote][color=rgb(50, 61, 79)][font=lucida grande][size=1.35em]Well things generally come in threes, we had Halifax then San Francisco so lets see what AC does next.[/size][/font][/color][color=rgb(50, 61, 79)][/color][/quote]

For the first time I can think of Rockie can not come up with an answer. ;D

TundraTire

Why the love affair with Avcanada, a site you hate, and being an internet troll, something you condemn others for?
Chuck Ellsworth

[list]
[li][quote]Why the love affair with Avcanada, a site you hate, and being an internet troll, something you condemn others for?[/quote][/li]
[/list]It is my way to pass time and entertain myself.

I don't " hate " Avcanada however one has to be very careful what one posts there because it may get binned or you may get banned from the forum.

Does it bother you that much?
Napoleon So Low

[quote]Well things generally come in threes, we had Halifax then San Francisco so lets see what AC does next.[/quote]

Well, that didn't take long, did it? Another win for the home team...

http://www.pprune.org/rumours-news/6010 ... d-sfo.html

http://www.avcanada.ca/forums2/viewtopi ... 4&t=120470
Strega

I wonder if they landed without a clearance, and with the red light shining in their eyes because they were "tired" and thought the red light from the tower was a laser pointer....

Slick Goodlin

This one really got me thinking and I don't think I've ever looked at the tower on short final.  I'm going to guess finger trouble led to them being unable to hear tower but it would be interesting to see how they would prevent this in the future.

This will no doubt cause a shit storm but perhaps US ATC needs to stop issuing landing clearances when there is a possibility of a runway incursion; that's one area where I think Canada is way ahead on preventing dumb shit from happening.    I've been miles away from my US destination and been told by tower "You're cleared to land, number five."  Tell me that isn't just opening the door for an accident.
Chuck Ellsworth

For sure the blanket cleared to land instructions from US controllers does leave some chance for things changing.

Thus even more reason for a crew to be aware of possible changes occuring.

It would be interesting to hear the CVR during that six miles of flight.

One of the things that would trigger me would be complete silence.....so my first check would be what happened to the radio's.

The easiest way to clear up that issue is ask the tower to confirm we are cleared to land.

Anyhow it will be interesting to see what if anything more we will hear about this latest issue at A C.

What comment/'s do you have Rockie?
Strega

"finger trouble"  ?

So two pilots, flying a modern jetliner, that have accepted a landing clearance on the tower freq all of a sudden had "finger trouble" and were somehow off frequency?  not acceptable.

Landing at night, and not seeing the red light from the tower?  Is this what you want out of the pilots that are flying your loved ones around?

There needs to be some drastic changes at AC...
Chuck Ellsworth

[quote][font=verdana]There needs to be some drastic changes at AC...[/font][/quote]

Maybe A C should issue a company directive that crews can not use 28R at SFO?

[color=blue]rosco was here fixing tags[/color]
Slick Goodlin

[color=blue] Here too. [/color][quote author=Strega link=topic=7336.msg20058#msg20058 date=1508867093]
So two pilots, flying a modern jetliner, that have accepted a landing clearance on the tower freq all of a sudden had "finger trouble" and were somehow off frequency?  not acceptable.[/quote]
I never said it was excusable.  I don't know what their standard practice is for radio setup but I've seen evidence of some weird nonstandard stuff at my company that really opens the door to this kind of crap.  Perhaps the same happened here.  How do you fix it?

[quote author=Strega link=topic=7336.msg20058#msg20058 date=1508867093]Landing at night, and not seeing the red light from the tower?  Is this what you want out of the pilots that are flying your loved ones around?[/quote]
That's a harder one to work through and I think you know it.  I have no problem flying my own loved ones around but at a visually busy airport like that I'm not convinced my eyes would have gone anywhere near the tower on short final.  Last time I dealt with light signals they weren't particularly bright either so that's more points against the existing system working as intended.