The Air Canada fiasco in San Fransisco.

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
Chuck Ellsworth

Well it would appear according to Rockie that not only did the crew not see any airplanes on the taxiway they were lined up on they have no idea how they got in that position in the first place because the CVR was overwritten.

This from today on Avcanada.

[quote][color=rgb(50, 61, 79)][font=Lucida Grande][size=medium]Regarding the CVR, it's likely the crew wishes it were not over written as well since they no doubt are more eager than anyone else to find out how this incident developed because, it is virtually guaranteed they don't want to ever do it again.[/size][/font][/color][/quote][color=rgb(50, 61, 79)][font=Lucida Grande][/font][/color]

Colonel

You can always tell a four bar,
but you can't tell them anything
because they know it all.

Except how to fly.

It's really very simple.  Four bars
are such weak pilots, if they don't
have an ILS, they should not commence
an approach.

No ILS, no approach.
vanNostrum

Before the plane flew back and the CVR  was overwritten , I'm wondering if the crew could
have played back the CVR and record  the data in their phones

I understand that crew may not remember word per word what was said and recovering

the audio is important , but surely they must remember what was said in general
during the approach and at what point they discussed that only one runway was lit

Eric Janson

People need to realise that we are working with incredibly old computer technology.

Database installation is done using 3.5" discs (remember them?) and FMC memory is measured in Mb.

As far as I know the Flight Control Computers are old 286 Processors. I'm sure all the other computers are similar. I know they use different programming languages to avoid a common fault affecting all Processors.

The big issue is proven reliability - the chance of failure has to be proven to be remote.

Your phone has more computer power than my aircraft.
Nark1

It's not possible to grab the cvr on your phone.

Rockie has never admitted that AC pilots are capable of mistakes.  Drastic ones at that.  Halifax: not pilots fault, contributing factors that caused the bus to crash. Same with Montego Bay, same with SFO.  Nope, AC pilot are the highest trained and most well respected pilots in the world!! (Only to Air Canada pilots though..)
Liquid Charlie

I find that the CVR was overwritten a little bogus. Even with digital technology overwritten data can be retrieved. I think it's a good excuse and I'm sure air canada has convinced the TSB it's not required to go that deep since no one got bruised and they can handle it internally through SMS, besides if the issue is addressed and fixed do we really need to know all the details. It blows me away that the thread is still active over at AV C - I stopped reading it after day one.
Chuck Ellsworth

[quote]It blows me away that the thread is still active over at AV C - I stopped reading it after day one.[/quote]

Pprune is still going strong on this so there is world wide interest in why this happened.

Eric Janson

When you get images like this - with explanations that make no sense - people want to know how such things are possible.

I can't understand how 4 aircraft were not seen by the AC crew.

I also can't understand why a descent was continued to 85' without an obvious runway in front of them.

[img width=500 height=405]http://avherald.com/img/aca_a320_c-fkck ... 0707_3.jpg[/img]