W.T.F. ?

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
Chuck Ellsworth

[quote]TSB Report#A17O0149: a privately operated Lake LA-4-200 amphibious aircraft, was practising touch and go water landings on Lake St John near Orillia, ON (CNJ4) with a pilot and an instructor on board. During one of the manoeuvers, the aircraft collided with the surface of the water. Both pilots were seriously injured and taken to the hospital. The aircraft was substantially damaged and sank to the bottom of the lake.[/quote]

The aircraft " collided " with the surface of the water.

No mention of why or how it " collided ".

We pay these people for that level of expertise?????

Chris

Crash summary: The airplane crashed. Durrrrr.

Hope Jim (PilotDar) doing alright... Amazing they both swam out, the whole front of the plane is gone.
JW Scud

Maybe at the time of the report, they didn't know what the cause was. Two pilots in hospital and a plane at the bottom of the Lake. What exactly more would you have done?

DeflectionShot

[quote]Hope Jim (PilotDar) doing alright... Amazing they both swam out, the whole front of the plane is gone.[/quote]

That the dude from the other place? Didn't know he was an amphib instructor.
Chuck Ellsworth

[quote]Maybe at the time of the report, they didn't know what the cause was. Two pilots in hospital and a plane at the bottom of the Lake. What exactly more would you have done?[/quote]

That is an easy question to answer.

I would have waited until we investigated a bit deeper than reporting that there had been an accident, the news media already have done that.

The T.S.B. is......

Transportation  " SAFETY "  Board.

Not  transportation  " news " board.

Then again I maybe I am just not as bright as some others in aviation and just need some education in these matters.
Trey Kule

speedy recovery PilotDar.....

David MacRay

I'm a bit surprised. He has done quite a bit of test flying. Went to AvCan to give him a get well message since he was pretty active there. I hope he recovers well.
Chuck Ellsworth

I also have not heard anything yet.

Doug Ronan is probably the best contact to find out how he is.
JW Scud

[quote author=Chuck Ellsworth link=topic=6748.msg18294#msg18294 date=1500673883]
[quote]Maybe at the time of the report, they didn't know what the cause was. Two pilots in hospital and a plane at the bottom of the Lake. What exactly more would you have done?[/quote]
I would have waited until we investigated a bit deeper than reporting that there had been an accident, the news media already have done that.
The T.S.B. is......
Transportation  " SAFETY "  Board.
Not  transportation  " news " board.
.... maybe I am just not as bright as some others in aviation and just need some education in these matters.
[/quote]

There are plenty of people out there that are not familiar with local news stations or local pilot forums. They have now been informed of this accident.

Example: I have been in contact with a European who has a website about aircraft accidents. He mentioned to me that he reads the TSB daily reports. I doubt he would have been aware of CTV Barrie news. But the daily report has made him aware of this particular accident within days of it happening instead of a year or two from now when the final report comes out(if there is one).
Colonel

Hope Jim isn't too fucked up.

Good guys like him, that constantly assume high
levels of risk, generally don't die of old age.  There
are always exceptions, like Jimmy Doolittle and Bob
Hoover, but most of us aren't gods like them. 

All of us will die in an aircraft, sooner or later.

See Charles Lindbergh's philosophy on this - he flew
the mail between the wars, which was at least as
hazardous as air racing (Doolittle, Whittman).

Ted Dirstein - also died in a Lake accident recently -
he lived to an amazing age (66!) considering.

Look on the bright side.  You live a life like us, you
don't need to save for retirement.  Just keep making
those life insurance payments which cover you as
aircrew.  Get as much as you can, because sooner
or later you will cash in.  It's just a matter of when.