Solo: A CADORs Story

Aircraft Accident & Crash Investigation Topics
Scudrunner
Site Admin

Barring further evidence of mechanical failure, I don’t think the pilot was ready.
78CD3BB9-7D50-4A90-A74F-0EA40A7DA6B8.jpeg
2020-11-04
Narrative: A Canadian Institute of Aviation Technology Inc. Cessna 172M (C-GOTC) from Kelowna, BC (CYLW) to Kelowna, BC (CYLW) was cleared for a full stop landing on Runway 34. The aircraft landed in the grass south of the runway. There was one person on board. The crash alarm was pulled and emergency response attended the scene.

Date: 2021-01-08
Narrative: UPDATE: TSB Report #A20P0095: C-GOTC, a commercially operated Cessna 172M, owned by Canadian Institute of Aviation Technology Inc., was conducting flight training at Kelowna International, BC (CYLW) with a student pilot on board, who was the sole occupant. When the aircraft was on final approach for Runway 34, the aircraft struck the elevated runway approach lights, and then the grassy area that was short of the runway. The aircraft came to a stop in the soft grass 279 meters from the runway threshold line, with the nose gear collapsed. The pilot exited the aircraft with minor injuries. An emergency locator transmitter (ELT) signal was not detected. The aircraft was substantially damaged.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

5 out of 2 Pilots are Dyslexic.
Colonel

I'm not sure I understand how this could have happened.

All their paperwork was in order, right?
Scudrunner
Site Admin

To be fair 8900 x 200 isn’t a lot of room to land the mighty Cessna 172.
5 out of 2 Pilots are Dyslexic.
David MacRay

Hmm. I'm quite the 172 ace I bet $500 I could squeeze one on a 3000' runway. All day long.