Operator Type:CommercialCARs Subpart:Unknown
Aircraft Event Information
Engine - malfunction
Diversion
Engine oil problem
Occurrence Summary
Date Entered:2020-10-02

Narrative:
An Air Tindi Ltd. Cessna 208 (TIN223) from Yellowknife, NT (CYZF) to Rae/Edzo, NT (CRE2) reported they were returning to CYZF shortly after departure, then suffered an engine failure and glided into CRE2 airport, landing safely at 0049Z. No injuries. The Aviation Operations Centre (AVOPS) was advised. No other impact to operations.
Occurrence Summary
Date Entered:2020-10-09

Narrative:
UPDATE to event summary by operator: Narrative corrected to read as follows: "During a flight to Fort Simpson, NT (CYFS), the pilot of TIN223 noticed that the STANDBY POWER INOP light had illuminated. They then diverted back to Yellowknife, NT (CYZF) via the Rae-Edzo, NT (CRE2) airport and contacted maintenance about the issue, noting the oil pressure, torque and Ng indications were normal. Shortly after the conversation with maintenance, the pilot observed that the oil pressure gauge started to fluctuate. The fluctuations continued to get worse as the flight continued and the pilot elected to divert to a closer airport. The pilot landed the aircraft at CRE2 with no further incident."

5 out of 2 Pilots are Dyslexic.
David MacRay

Ok, no need to point out I'm dumb and can't read or comprehend.

Why does that look like they claimed there was an engine failure but the update narrative seemed like they just landed with fluctuating oil pressure.

I was going to ask if this was the first engine failure in a caravan. Someone claimed at another forum there had never been one.
JW Scud

Miscommunication or faulty information relayed in initial report to CADORS. Sometimes the update is different and more detailed/correct information than the initial report. Just like in life.

But all the impatient people want the answers right away yet complain when their impatience led to bad information being passed on.
Slick Goodlin

David MacRay wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 2:55 pm
I was going to ask if this was the first engine failure in a caravan. Someone claimed at another forum there had never been one.
I’m guessing at least one Caravan has suffered an engine failure before...
Liquid_Charlie

being from another time I am always the mind set, more engines are always better and being half Brit one needs 3 or 4 to qualify -- :mrgreen: but seriously, engines do fail but the koolaide, as demonstrated from the claim at the other site, has surely been passed around. Yes engines are more reliable today but they are all that ticking time bomb that may go off. Single engine in "hard" IFR has always made the hair on the back of my neck stand up.

BTW I have had far more turbine/jet engines fail than piston engines. I always had at least one spare engine to get me to the white bed sheets and a bottle of Palm Breeze :lol:
"black air has no lift - extra fuel has no weight"
Scudrunner
Site Admin

I go back and forth on that.

Is scud running at 500 agl down in the shot with a 206 safer than say up at 6000 IFR shoot an approach land/go around?

Engine quits at 500 you land in the cabbage straight ahead, at 6000 you might have time to trouble shoot get her going again.
5 out of 2 Pilots are Dyslexic.
Liquid_Charlie

scud running at 500 agl
-- haha I'm thinking you are padding that a little, 500 AGL was normal cruising in a whoredyne in the summer and less than 100 ft was considered scud running :mrgreen:

When the single engine quits and you are IMC and ceilings down to the ground or less than 200 feet you have no choice of terrain selection and could possibly find an embedded hill before you break out VFR, if you are scud running at least you can try and find a piece of level ground or if you are lucky enough to be flying up a valley a river might provide a location. Night, single engine is really a crap shoot. It's a lot of faith in Mr. P&W or Mr Garret. Try and make this point to the current generation, they will always argue back that turbine engines don't fail anymore. Ask any PC12 pilot. ;)
Slick Goodlin

Liquid_Charlie wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:50 pm
Night, single engine is really a crap shoot. It's a lot of faith in Mr. P&W or Mr Garret. Try and make this point to the current generation, they will always argue back that turbine engines don't fail anymore. Ask any PC12 pilot. ;)
Some may read this as you being facetious, but in my experience it’s exactly true. This one guy was explaining to me in great detail over beers once that the modern turbine on his work PC-12 was incapable of failure. I usually try to talk about not-work over beers but to each their own I guess.
David MacRay

I just don't remember if we were talking Caravan or PT-6 but the claim was there was not a failure yet at the time. I would think it would be fairly easy to do what Slick did to prove otherwise. Or maybe not.
JW Scud wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 5:08 pm
Miscommunication or faulty information relayed in initial report to CADORS. Sometimes the update is different and more detailed/correct information than the initial report. Just like in life.

But all the impatient people want the answers right away yet complain when their impatience led to bad information being passed on.
I don't want to rag on the agency too much but where did they get the information provided in the first narrative?
Liquid_Charlie

work PC-12 was incapable of failure
I too have experienced the same conversation.

There was a crash in newfoundland. Engine failed in IMC, all survived because of a little luck, pilot skills and an aircraft built like a brick shit house but that was then abs now engines just don't fail.