Bf 109

Aircraft Accident & Crash Investigation Topics
Colonel

I know nothing about the 109 - I should email Rick - but with a strong/gusty crosswind on dry pavement, I would be tempted to wheel land it. Plant the mains on, stick forward to keep them there and patiently let it slow down.

Lower the tail slowly for gyroscopic precession and if starts to yaw, power to blast air over the rudder. Aileron all the way over into the wind. Brakes after slowed to walking speed only.

With all due respect to the warbird guys, give me an hour and I bet I can taxi it in on the brakes and power with the tail up in the air. You can do that if someone else is buying the props.

Ever seen the Cannonball Run movie? They whacked the prop on the Maule.

Squaretail

Colonel wrote:
Mon Jul 18, 2022 3:35 am
I know nothing about the 109
Some things are obvious from looking at it though. The gear are narrow track, and I'm not certain how much effect it has on its directional characteristics, but it (and most of the warbirds that have fold out opposed to fold in landing gear) has quite a bit toe-out on the wheels. I know it makes the tail draggers I've flown a bit more squirrely when they're like that. The Germans also seem to favour a small rudder, both the 109 and the 190 have really small tails compared to their allied counterparts

Ever seen the Cannonball Run movie? They whacked the prop on the Maule.

Its like how in this scene the airplane is actually heavily damaged in the landing, though its cut as to not appear so.

The details of my life are quite inconsequential...
David MacRay

The magic of motion pictures.

Well looks like them Duke boys are in a bit of trouble.