St Barts Landings

Flying Tips and Advice from The Colonel!
Colonel

I know there's probably something really wrong with me, but
I love watching these:

Likely because landing at that airport requires a bit of stick
and rudder skill, and is certainly a CAR 602.01 contravention.

Trey Kule

Been there. Have the French endorsement.  Done the approach down the hill probably 90 times.
Can’t remember ever enjoying it.
Slick Goodlin

Looks like the kind of place that would be fun when you fly for yourself but irritating when you fly for someone else.  I’ll have to put it on my “if I ever have money” list.
Colonel

[quote]Can’t remember ever enjoying it.[/quote]

[img width=333 height=500]https://previews.123rf.com/images/bernj ... outfit.jpg[/img]
Liquid Charlie

Watching the videos it seems that most arrivals are way to fast and the last minute dive just adds to it. Of all the videos I only saw one 2 otter actually flair and watching the roll outs on the otters they have tillerits. They make a big deal on the special training required but I'll tell you non of those guys could land on a 400ft esker or even a 600 ft one. I did not see anyone using a steep angle approach. It certainly is a challenge but I don't see technique that I would think is better. I could reflect pilot experience, why they do it the way they do. It would be nice to hear more from the member who has actually lived it.  >:D
Slick Goodlin

I was curious about that too.  They all looked to be coming in hot but maybe there’s a reason.
vanNostrum

I think these guys should do well landing St Barts

Chuck Ellsworth

[quote]  They all looked to be coming in hot but maybe there’s a reason.[/quote]

The reason is obvious, they were never trained to fly a Twin Otter for the reason it was designed like Liquid Charlie posted about.

[quote] They make a big deal on the special training required but I'll tell you non of those guys could land on a 400ft esker or even a 600 ft one.
[/quote]
Slick Goodlin

So what’s the right way to bring a Twotter (or Caravan) down that hillside and plonk it on the numbers?  I know what I would do but I generally solve things as if I were flying a J-3.
Liquid Charlie

Steep approach on proper speed and a great big flare. Having said that they do have gusty winds so it becomes very much a local knowledge thing. Unfortunately flying with SOP'S and possibly people a little low on experience they set rules that is perceived to be the "safest". It was once said to me all rules are set for the lowest common denominator. Some good mountain training would go a long way there. When you are 3 pointing a trike you are way to fast. Steep approaches and a big flare holds true for almost all prop aircraft right up to a Herc in my experience. The only aircraft I found that would not be good in a chop and plop was the CV580.

ATR actually have a steep angle approach that is certified with training to allow for shorter runways, used in PANG by 7F. Some use it and some don't