USAF Taildragger

Flying Tips and Advice from The Colonel!
Colonel

John Moses Browning was a God. You’re talking to the guy who took the bonus from his last patent and bought a stupidly expensive 1911 .45 which my kid lusts over.

But time moves on. The latest Sig is a masterpiece, and the Canadian military deserves it.

PS The Beretta was certainly a step back from the HiPower but everyone knows that.

Slick Goodlin

mcrit wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 2:57 am
Procurement is 90% based on politics
That’s why I’d have backed the Enforcer if I were king. Probably the worst available tool for the job but also awesome.
Big Pistons Forever

Instead of the POS Air Tractor, possibly the worst flying airplane ever made in volume production, the USAF should have resurrected the Piper PA-48 Enforcer. :D

Re handguns the good old Browning High Power was all I ever used in the CAF. Just before I left they went to the Sig. The Browning was like the tail dragger of handguns, it rewarded those who made the effort to master it.
Colonel

My Dad loved the Browning. He thinks my fondness for the .45 (my favorite) and the .44 magnum and .50 magnum is really weird.

He took up pistol shooting and sailing at RMC - the students had to pursue two athletic sports and I suspect those were the easiest he could find. He gold-plated his uniform brass so he didn’t have to polish it. A master of minimalism.

He was expelled from RMC - they said he wouldn’t make a good soldier, so naturally he went into the RCAF which had plenty of ex-WWII pilots that thought RMC grads were assholes, and anyone that RMC hated was their kind of guy.

Back on topic, he immediately went on the F-86 Sabre which if memory serves has six .50. Brownings. Apparently if you fired them at a slow speed the recoil would stall you.

If memory serves, a three second burst resulted in around 50 knots of airspeed loss.
mcrit

RMC Grads are a combination of Hannibal, Wellington and Alexander all rolled into one. Just ask an RMC grad…they’ll tell you it’s true. ;)
Colonel

I have totally and completely lost my mind.

Of course, I am trying answer the question: "How many is enough .45's?"
Big Pistons Forever

Colonel wrote:
Fri Dec 09, 2022 5:27 pm

Of course, I am trying answer the question: "How many is enough .45's?"
One more than you have ?