OSH 2024

Flying Tips and Advice from The Colonel!
Colonel

Nark

Darn it!

I was camped 4 planes down from that blue Navy 336/337/OV.
Twin Beech restoration:
www.barelyaviated.com
Slick Goodlin

In hindsight I really wish I’d gone
David MacRay

I thought that canard was coming in hot but second guessed myself since I don’t know what speeds they use. Then boing, and soon they went around.
Colonel

Sometimes builders don’t fly much during the 10-20 years it takes to build an airplane like that. And generally before they started building they only flew 172 which is much more docile. This is not a receipe for success, as the Lancair at OSH will tell you. Last groundspeed on base was 56 knots ads-b out.
Nark

I saw the aftermath of that crash.
Pretty sad to see.

I immediately thought stall/spin base to final, given where the crash site is located.

There is an ATC recording of the event unfolding. Sounds like he was behind an L29.
I could envision a rolling motion induced by wake turbulence and the lancair unable to power out of it.

I survived leaving the show, and survived once more flying past it, while dropping my bird off for some avionics work.
Twin Beech restoration:
www.barelyaviated.com
Scudrunner
Site Admin

Nark wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2024 11:28 pm
Darn it!

Definitely a 337, the O-2 typically don't have a spinner and the original style cowl. Also not to nitpick but it appeared as if he was using his front engine to do most of the work. That blade is hella close to the ground so on grass or anything but concrete use the rear to push ya first then bring the front up if required.

I missed the story was their a crash?
5 out of 2 Pilots are Dyslexic.
Nark

Scudrunner wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2024 10:00 pm
Nark wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2024 11:28 pm
Darn it!

Definitely a 337, the O-2 typically don't have a spinner and the original style cowl. Also not to nitpick but it appeared as if he was using his front engine to do most of the work. That blade is hella close to the ground so on grass or anything but concrete use the rear to push ya first then bring the front up if required.

I missed the story was their a crash?
99% certain stall/spin base to final.

My thought was got behind the plane, trying avoid the L39 flight. Possibly getting in to his wake.

I’m with the Colonel, I bet the first instinct most accident “pilots” do is pull, which exasperates the issue, 64% of the time.
Twin Beech restoration:
www.barelyaviated.com
Colonel

I keep asking people to demonstrate to me, a stall/spin with their hands in their laps and their feet on the floor.

Aircraft stall/spin because pilots force them to.

NB there are many proxies for angle of attack (which is all that actually matters) but one of the best is the position of the stick, or control column. If it's all the way back, you're at a high AOA. Airspeed and pitch attitude are actually not great proxies for AOA.