Certified Aircraft Parts

Flying Tips and Advice from The Colonel!
Colonel

FAA rule change - and it affects you guys.

FAA says non-certified parts can now be used on certified aircraft built before 1980 if their failure is not catastrophic.

File a 337 and you’re done.

Now, what happens when these certified aircraft are imported to Canada in the future? Is TC going to reject all of them? Not possible.

So. A certified aircraft near you will soon have legal automotive parts on it. And people will ask, why can’t they all?

No one has noticed yet but this is a can of worms for TC

Scudrunner
Site Admin

Link to this decision? After all we know the rule is you ask 2 TC inspectors you’re going to get 5 different answers.
5 out of 2 Pilots are Dyslexic.
Colonel

This has nothing to do with TC

https://www.eaa.org/eaa/news-and-public ... tage-fleet

It’s just going to be a huge headache for TC in the future. They just don’t know it yet.
digits

What makes you so sure TC won't reject all planes with automotive parts?
Colonel

They could. But politics may make that difficult.

I was surprised when the FAA (and I’m sure TC) quietly opened up the ECG limits to allow pilots with heart damage to keep their medicals. After being screeched at for decades about how important perfect heart health is, imagine my shock.
Slick Goodlin

Colonel wrote:
Wed Apr 12, 2023 10:38 am
ECG limits
Glasses, bypasses, retirement age on the cusp of going up. It’s another change in a long list of changes.

Pretty sure we’re talking about going down to Pep Boys for a new alternator belt for a Cessna 150 anyways.
TundraTire

TC can and does ground aircraft for having parts installed that aren't certified. I have flown an aircraft that was purchased from another Canadian operator, who used it in Africa. While there, it had new (overhauled) landing gear installed which lacked the paperwork. When TC discovered that in an audit, we were grounded until NDT could be done.

Colonel wrote:
Wed Apr 12, 2023 10:38 am
I was surprised when the FAA (and I’m sure TC) quietly opened up the ECG limits to allow pilots with heart damage to keep their medicals. After being screeched at for decades about how important perfect heart health is, imagine my shock.
Yawn. Didn't happen, but keep living in fear.

If three conspiracy theorists walk into a bar....was it a coincidence?
Colonel

Didn't happen
Sure did. You need to get out more. In October 2022 the FAA opened up the ECG limits very quietly and mysteriously. Pilots who before could not get medicals, now could.

What fear? I didn’t fear the seasonal flu with a 99.7% survival rate. But you did, and you used Justin Trudeau’s brain instead of your own, and you took unnecessary experimental medicine with unknown short term and long term effects.

I don’t have a problem. But you sure do.
Scudrunner
Site Admin

Don't Make me come down there.
5 out of 2 Pilots are Dyslexic.