Independence Day

Flying Tips and Advice from The Colonel!
Colonel

On July 4, 1776 56 people signed their death warrants on the Declaration of Independence.

I'm insufferably proud that of the seven signatories from Virginia, four are my second cousins:

Richard Henry Lee
Francis Lightfoot Lee
Benjamin Harrison
Thomas Nelson, Jr.

Thomas Jefferson (also a signatory from Virginia) is another (very distant, 11th) cousin. You may have heard of him.

Oddly George Washington, also from Virginia (my distant, 8th cousin) did not sign the Declaration of Independence.
He was off running the army or something.

Fun Fact: the guy with the big flashy signature is another (distant, 10th) cousin:

Scudrunner
Site Admin

Treasonous bastards! I mean the British only raised taxes on the colonies to pay for the French and Indian Wars which directly helped the colonies out but hey I only graduated high school. I guess that was asking too much to chip in for their own security.

And here my distant relatives on the educated side of the clan became United Empire Loyalists https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Empire_Loyalist
I mean huge tracts of land have there appeal, just maybe not in a frozen land.
Ok Nova Scotia isn't so bad but....

5 out of 2 Pilots are Dyslexic.
Colonel

All of the colonies of all of the great European empires - England, France, Spain, etc - eventually went their own way, and became independent.

France doesn't have many rubber plantations in Vietnam today (see Dien Bien Phu, 1954) and sold off it's colony in middle USA via the Louisiana Purchase in 1803.
Spain doesn't have much control over Mexico any more.
Brazil isn't run by the Portuguese.
I won't mention Africa.

It's just a matter of time - how and when it's going to happen.

Shit even the Bahamas declared independence from England in 1973. Ever been to the Bahamas? Pretty mellow.
anofly

Our resources in the colonies, used to be pillaged to make the "Crown" and Britain (or France) rich. They are now pillaged to make "rich people" rich, if we have not already allowed the rich people to sell them to state owned chinese enterprises.....but hey , we get some royalties...
JW Scud

anofly wrote:
Fri Jul 08, 2022 2:15 pm
Our resources in the colonies, used to be pillaged to make the "Crown" and Britain (or France) rich. They are now pillaged to make "rich people" rich, if we have not already allowed the rich people to sell them to state owned chinese enterprises.....but hey , we get some royalties...
That’s how it works. Elon gets rich and provides good paying jobs to people who chose the path of responsible behaviour and have a decent house, an airplane as a toy and a couple of kids.

Or maybe they weren’t the smartest in school but still make decent dough driving a rig or operating a rig in Alaska to drill for oil, etc. They pass it on to the next generation and/or donate some to what they feel is a good cause.

Of course then some get jealous and want more, or pursued irresponsible behaviour and then want a pass to get what the others busted their ass for as well as take the money they earned through taxes.

They vote for the lefties. Try investing wisely and smartly and enjoy the royalties with realistic expectations.