ASA Instrument Procedures Handbook

Flying Tips and Advice from The Colonel!
Colonel

This is a well-written book.  You can order a copy (I just did) from Spruce at:

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/ ... kkey=68146

They make great Christmas gifts, for the whole family!

The fact that the front cover has a picture of me flying a low altitude banana pass in a C421B has nothing to do with it.

[img width=385 height=500][/img]

vanNostrum

Image rights?
Colonel

I forget who took the picture.  I'm sure they don't care.

I think it's great when people take pictures of me flying.  They should do it more.

I have a funny story about this.  A few years back, after the Annual Fly-In Breakfast
at CYSH, I took a Pitts up and did some acro, just as I do all the time.

Well, there was a TC Inspector from Ottawa, and he took pictures of me doing aerobatics,
and he thought he had caught John Fucking Dillinger.

I got a phone call from a hell of a nice guy called Ron Tidy - a TC Inspector, but ex-mil
pilot so he's not all bad - the following monday at work.

Ron Tidy breathlessly told me what happened - the photos of me flying were making the
rounds at Tower C.  Everyone now knew of all the careless and reckless flying that was
going on at CYSH, and I was in HUGE FUCKING TROUBLE.

I saw some of the photos, and I thought they weren't of very good quality.  I replied via
email with some pictures of me flying acro at the Gatineau Airshow the weekend before,
and I asked Ron to circulate those photos around Tower C, because I didn't want people
to get a bad impression

[img width=500 height=333][/img].

Inevitably, this became known as the John Dillinger Incidentâ„¢.  The fact that I had paper to
do what I was doing - valid SFOC issued as per CAR 603.67 - was quickly forgotten, and the
simmering anger and resentment continued at Tower C.

I digress.  Order your copy of the FAA Instrument Procedures Manual, before they sell out!!

[img width=500 height=400][/img]

There must be something wrong with me, because I love pictures.  I think they're great!

[img width=500 height=375][/img]

That's a fantastic picture.  I'm pretty sure the record still stands - no one else has done
3 digits.  Great back story.  Google "Oliver's Landing"

[quote]In the 1820s, the Olivers ran the ferry across Big Rideau Lake and converted their cabin to a small inn to accommodate the  occasional late traveller,  for Mr. Oliver,  being a prudent man, would never cross the lake at night. They did very well with this.

You might say, they made a killing at it.[/quote]
Nark1

The irony of a Canadian registered plane on an FAA publication...  makes me giggle.

There is a guy who posts YouTube videos under the moniker “JerryW” who breaks out on the ILS with a 45*+ angle of bank and -2000fpm descent in his 414.  So the connection is appropriate. 

I knew you’d do good things here in the US!  Way to go!
Colonel

Canada has PorkChops.  USA has Jerry, who is also responsible for "The Day The Clown Died"
Nark1

I forget you are in Jerry's neck of the woods.
God help you, should you ever share the airspace with that douche-bag.
Colonel

This is a very strange place, indeed.

Nice Wx, though.
ScudRunner-d95

yikes just watched that Jerry W. He yaps away like hes calling the final stretch at the Kentucky Derby.

No wonder hes a dot high on the approach all the time. ATC even called him out on one video, and then says to the camera hes going to need to get that checked with his maintenance.
How about fly the thing and shut up.
Nark1

[quote author=ScudRunner link=topic=10183.msg29446#msg29446 date=1575131398]
yikes just watched that Jerry W. He yaps away like hes calling the final stretch at the Kentucky Derby.

No wonder hes a dot high on the approach all the time. ATC even called him out on one video, and then says to the camera hes going to need to get that checked with his maintenance.
How about fly the thing and shut up.
[/quote]

The NTSB investigation about his ensuing crash will be really simple.
Any video of his, scroll forward to the approach. Always high/fast/unstable. I don't mean unstable according to the fancy airlines parameters, I mean breaking out at 500' and a 60* bank to align with the runway.

If YouTube has proved anything, it's guys that are striving to be better (Trent Palmer) get attention from the FAA, and guys like Jerry Wagner seem to be ignored. Almost like the Wild West down here, but the good guys get the attention and the bad guys skate by.