Radio school for future pilots.

Flight Training and topics related to getting your licence or ratings.
David MacRay

I really believe I should start a school to train people to speak and understand what’s happening with the radio.

This should be ground based using either walkie talkies of possibly better yet two cans and a string.

People spending hours flying while trying to figure it out is too expensive.

I’m probably not young enough to be around if it ever catches on.

Colonel

I tell the kids here to listen to their favorite airport freq. After a while they
will realize that ATC is saying the same thing, over and over again, which
is why they say it so quickly.

People here just don't shut up on the radio. Ever. Every flight is to and from
a towered airport with flight following. The mere suggestion of turning off
the radio x/c and enjoying some peace and quiet in uncontrolled airspace is
considered careless and reckless.

Flying into an uncontrolled airport is terrifying for them.
David MacRay

Yeah, listening to the various frequencies often enough really helps.

I believe part of teaching people how to use the radio, should include the concept that less is usually much better than, what tends to become a bad habit of over explaining.

It’s easy to get caught up in thinking it’s great to tell the radio absolutely everything, especially when you hear others do it. Particularly if an instructor ever does it.
They’re teaching you, it seems like it must be right.

EDIT:
I posted an example of something I thought I needed to re-learn. Since I was wrong I have removed it to prevent misleading anyone.
digits

David MacRay wrote:
Sun May 12, 2024 7:21 pm

An example I needed to re-learn was, there’s no need to explain I’m going to press the Ident button on a transponder. When that button is pressed on a functioning transponder they’ll know.

When a controller asks you to “Squawk ident.” Instead of responding, “(registration) squawking ident.” Just press the button and wait. As soon as you are identified and they are able they will say, “(registration) you are radar identified.” Then add anything else they want you to know.

Simple, effective and leaves the radio available for others.
That's mainly a weird Canadian thing that will result in extra radio calls pretty much anywhere else in the world. It comes from the interpretation that pressing the ident button counts as acknowledging an instruction, which is a bit of a stretch IMO.
David MacRay

Are you suggesting I go back to verbally acknowledging the instruction?

“(registration) squawking indent.”
mcrit

“Alpha Bravo Charlie Ident”

..or..

If you’re a fighter pilot “Nightmare 25 Flash”
digits

David MacRay wrote:
Wed May 15, 2024 1:55 am
Are you suggesting I go back to verbally acknowledging the instruction?

“(registration) squawking indent.”
Navcanada's IFR procedures booklet doesn't seem to require it, but just be aware that internationally the standard is that you do read back the instruction yes. Even in the US they often repeat the instruction if you don't acknowledge it.
David MacRay

Dog gone it. Wrong again.

Digits are you still instructing? Maybe next winter I should go get some recurrent training.

I guess I’m going back to, “(Registration) squawking ident.”
Slick Goodlin

You can still teach how not to give your life story over the radio and why giving a distance to multiple decimal places is dumb when you’re flying at a mile and a half a minute.
David MacRay

Maybe. I have lost some confidence after my first lesson turned out to be bogus information.

Still, I guess you’d be saving so much money it could be a good value even with a few potential errors included. :P