Insurance WTF Over

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
Scudrunner
Site Admin

I don’t know if I’m not being clear to these insurance folks or what. But for my 337 operated by two pilots with atpl a shit ton of experience up north and fly corporate professionally for a huge multi national company are getting quotes from 4000-5000 this year.

No accidents, no claims hangared at an airport with a hull value of 110K

We know folks with PPL and C185 on Amphibs paying half as much for the same level of coverage.

5 out of 2 Pilots are Dyslexic.
CaptNerdly

i'm paying $2900 on a Pa11 floatplane. Went up $500 this year. I get that there is an increased risk of hail damage etc. tied on a ramp at the dock so a floatplane will be more. Doesn't seem like 42 years flying floats commercially accident free factors into the equation. Magnes (through COPA) wanted $3900.
Scudrunner
Site Admin

It seems to me all these brokers do is plug numbers into a computer and go with the number it tells them without engaging the grey matter.

I get it they gotta make a buck but it is pretty clear they ain't working for the customer to find an acceptable resolution.

hmm Scudrunners Aviation Insurance brokerage (invite only) has ring to it. Case of beer per year is the only fee I collect :D
Colonel

337 is centerline thrust so it should be a bit more than a 172.

I suspect the type has got a bad accident rate for sone reason. Insurance companies don’t want to insure high-risk types regardless of pilot experience.

Actuaries are simple people.
digits

I remember how people told me 'insurance for a tailwheel airplane is very expensive the first few years, afterwards it will go down if you don't have accidents or claims'.

They were right about the first part of the sentence... It sure never went down!
Nark

Insurance companies can suck an egg.

How the eff is a guy who is very proficient (ie 3 takeoff and landings a week, as opposed to 90 days like the regs state) the same risk as someone with 15 hours on type and not current on type?

Don’t get me started. So much is wrong with the insurance system in all industries/sectors.
Twin Beech restoration:
www.barelyaviated.com
Squaretail

Take a close look through the quotes. I found that whenever my insurance suddenly doubled or more, there was something they added in that I didn't want to pay for. Another thousand bucks a year for glass coverage? No thanks, I'll take my chances. Another grand for terrorism insurance? Again, I'll roll those dice. Lots of items were starting to get itemized. No I don't want to additionally insure the old Narco radios. Not sure why airplane insurance was always such a pain. Why can't you get it like a car? Unless I call you and want it changed, I want the same as I had before. Either way, I'd always advise you go through it and make sure some boxes aren't checked that you don't really want or need.
The details of my life are quite inconsequential...
Slick Goodlin

Scudrunner wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2023 3:53 am
Scudrunners Aviation Insurance brokerage (invite only) has ring to it. Case of beer per year is the only fee I collect :D
I’d be down for that.
Scudrunner
Site Admin

We finally got a hold of someone who had a brain and came back with $2988 all in for full coverage at 110k valuation and 3 million.

Conversation went like this

“Oh your both ATPL, also go to training every year and have more than 50 on type with no accidents. Hangared, pleasure only! Ya let me crunch some numbers and I can cover you guys no problem”
Scudrunner
Site Admin

Colonel wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2023 2:41 pm
337 is centerline thrust so it should be a bit more than a 172.

I suspect the type has got a bad accident rate for sone reason. Insurance companies don’t want to insure high-risk types regardless of pilot experience.

Actuaries are simple people.
He did mention that they do have a higher accident rate because it’s in the twin category. All those VMCA demo pilots digging holes in the ground are pumping those numbers up.

And of course they’re a few companies that use them for tuna spotting for fleets. From what I’m told they depart and shut an engine down and go flying for 8 hour mission directing the boats in. Inevitably someone forgets to switch tanks or miscalculate the fuel remaining and they ditch.