Airlines vital to life in the North facing headwinds from worker shortages

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
Scudrunner
Site Admin

5 out of 2 Pilots are Dyslexic.
Doin_Time

You get what you pay for! I have zero sympathy for operators that have paid terrible wages for decades. A lot of operators are going to have to get off their wallets if they want to survive or reduce their operations to match their staffing. That is, if they can keep anyone.
Scudrunner
Site Admin

I wonder if we will see more one man shows start up.
If you have time why work for someone else when you can sub contract you and your plane much like I have seen with helicopter operations.
5 out of 2 Pilots are Dyslexic.
Nark

You guys have vastly different reg’s than we do, but is there an avenue to do sub-contracting air work?

I know we lots of ACMI cargo/pax operations here with jets, but I don’t know that we have 9-pax or less type of operations that can sub-contract.

I have a “friend” that uses his VLJ as source of income. Read between the lines of that as you will.

I’m sure it’s inevitable that an operation will farm out ATR work to a guy that can staff a single pilot King Air.

Second question, since I’m too lazy to read the CAR’s: can you fly a King Air 200 single pilot ? I seem to recall pretty much all the single pilot planes down here are flown dual crew up there.
Twin Beech restoration:
www.barelyaviated.com
TwinOtterFan

I think most are flown with two crew, but I have seen a couple, like medical on the PC12 is flown two crew but the RCMP flies it with one, and I have seen some northen op's flying with one. But mostly it does seem like two here.
Squaretail

Nark wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:12 pm

Second question, since I’m too lazy to read the CAR’s: can you fly a King Air 200 single pilot ? I seem to recall pretty much all the single pilot planes down here are flown dual crew up there.
You can, but the 8 hour flight time limitation (CAR 700.27 (1)(d) assuming you're flying it IFR) and experience requirements CASS 723.86, and operational restrictions (restricted below FL250, same CASS), probably preclude its practicality in most cases.
The details of my life are quite inconsequential...
Nark

Squaretail:

Not too dissimilar down here.

I’ll have to brush off some cobwebs, and it may be dated: when I flew PA31 is Alaska (all of US) for that matter PIC needed an ATP to fly scheduled passengers. To fly IFR, (single pilot) the aircraft needed autopilot, chart holder and a light to shine in the chart holder.

The ATP requirements changed shortly after, but I don’t think it affected that part of 135. (Equivalent to 703/704 I suppose.)

There is a huuuge emphasis from the FAA to not allow a guy with a plane setting up shop as a subcontractor. They enjoy their oversight. (Can’t entirely disagree with the intent)

Maybe when the Beech is 90% complete (sans interior) I can offset the restoration cost with running pop and chips to Shamatawa.
Twin Beech restoration:
www.barelyaviated.com
Squaretail

I suspect the main reason you don't see many King Airs single pilot is because operators want someone in the right seat getting time so when the guy in the left seat is qualified to fly single pilot, he's gone and you need the right seat guy in the left seat. Then the cycle repeats. Most King Air operators I know of seem to have a revolving door for pilots.
The details of my life are quite inconsequential...
Slick Goodlin

Squaretail wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 2:08 am
I suspect the main reason you don't see many King Airs single pilot is because operators want someone in the right seat getting time so when the guy in the left seat is qualified to fly single pilot, he's gone and you need the right seat guy in the left seat. Then the cycle repeats.
That’s exactly why I wouldn’t let the Caravan go single pilot at the 703 I used to be with. It’s hauling cargo so only fair to send a helper monkey, and that helper monkey may as well be a pilot logging time.
Nark

Holy poop, have times changed!

Other than being a 747 skipper at Canadian, the other prestigious gig was a King Air captain. Logging MTPIC!
Twin Beech restoration:
www.barelyaviated.com