Air Show Crash in Dallas

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
Scudrunner
Site Admin

Viewer discretion advised. Not sure I want to share this but we as aviators need to learn from others mistakes.

God speed to all the victims.

5 out of 2 Pilots are Dyslexic.
Slick Goodlin

Just horrifying, I felt sick when I first saw it earlier today.
Colonel

need to learn from others mistakes
You would be amazed at the number of pilots that are unaware that if something is stationary in your windshield and getting bigger, you are about to die.

And almost all the time, the best way to deconflict in that situation is NOT by climbing or turning, as 99% of pilots instinctively would. Their instincts are wrong. Don't fight the big planet - let it's gravity help you with -5G's and wings level.

DO NOT TURN. That increases your cross-sectional area and increases the chances of a collision and doesn't help very much. AIrcraft cannot hit if they are at different altitudes. Don't think in two dimensions. Use the vertical to stay alive.

I am alive today, because I de-conflicted with forward stick and -5G wings level, when someone - a really nice guy - tried to kill me one day. I suspect that most pilots are uninterested in that lesson, from so many years ago.

I will not mention the importance of LOOKING OUTSIDE. I may have mentioned it before here, several hundred times.
Slick Goodlin

Colonel wrote:
Sun Nov 13, 2022 2:44 pm
need to learn from others mistakes
Don't fight the big planet - let it's gravity help you with -5G's and wings level.
Diving is uncomfortable and pilots unlikely to do it. Birds seem to know what they’re doing and they dive to de-conflict. Based on that I generally choose down to get out of trouble too.
Nark

Agreed.
Pushing forward on the stick has saved me a few times.

I'm part of the CAF. Absolutely devastating to our organization. No where as devastating as the impact on the family, friends and spectators there ins Dallas.
Twin Beech restoration:
www.barelyaviated.com
Colonel

Diving is uncomfortable and pilots unlikely to do it
All the more reason for you to do it.
Slick Goodlin

Colonel wrote:
Sun Nov 13, 2022 7:04 pm
Diving is uncomfortable and pilots unlikely to do it
All the more reason for you to do it.
Exactly. Just can’t tell everyone to do that because it then stops working…
Colonel

I should mention that the above assumes you can see the threat. In this case, I suspect the B-17 never saw the fighter and just experienced a very loud bang followed by a breakup.

Separation here was entirely the responsibility of #2 and his job was to keep the lead in sight as he performed a joinup.

Personally I refuse to fly “out of visual” formation. Wing must keep the lead in sight at all times. If he fails to do so, he must call blind and immediately perform a separation procedure.

The French Connection, a superb formation aerobatic team, tried to fly a belly to belly hammerhead. Out of visual. They are both dead now.
anofly

a first look seems to indicate that it was quite possible the aircobra never saw the big brother. He was banking and I bet the big brother was blocked from his view and was under his "belly and wings"
I may have mentioned before, I have lost most of my appetite for air shows....this wont be helping..
I am very sorry this happened...
Colonel

Moose Jaw 2005.

Bobby Younkin and Jimmy Franklin never saw each other, and they’re both dead now.

Don’t fly “out of visual” formation unless you think you’re better than all these dead guys.

Pilots need to know their limits, and fly within them. And spend your entire life learning, to expand those limits.