Word of the day

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
Squaretail

Not sure what it is about pilots, but I really think most pilot's favorite thing about the whole aviation thing is talking on the radio. I won't re-hash to obvious complaints, but what is with pilots and new words? You sense someone has heard something new and really likes the sound of it so they insert it everywhere they can. Two examples from the other day were "the full procedure" and "established" used by separate pilots. when I head the first one, I initially assumed that they were practicing instrument approaches, until they announced they were in the "full procedure circuit" and then practiced a "full procedure diversion" followed by a "full procedure precautionary"....

The second fellow was "established" doing everything. A typical pronouncement was them established at xxxx altitude, established on a heading of xxx, established over Whoville.

Reminds me of a KITH sketch.

The details of my life are quite inconsequential...
TwinOtterFan

I find this amusing, I will admit that I have used "established" once or twice, but it was because I either shit the bed in the circuit and I am already well established instead of reporting my turn to downwind, or there is so much other radio chatter that by the time I get the chance I'm well past my turn,

I was corrected 3 times yesterday while practicing forced approaches. I gave my position report, location, altitude ect ending with "practicing forced approaches" and I was corrected to "Practicing simulated forced approaches" I never did get it right.

in the military years ago after Generation Kill came out, you could tell which soldiers watched it because you started hearing all the American radio terms over the net. The Canadian signalers were losing their minds.
David MacRay

I confess it can be fun to try and sound like a pilot when you don’t talk on a radio very often.

They are cracking down on extra chatter at YBW. There was a memo sent to the schools asking for simple registration responses. “Oscar Oscar Foxtrot.” Instead of, “Gulf Oscar Oscar Foxtrot, roger, we read you loud and clear and copy, we are number 3. Did you catch that Flames game? Oscar Oscar Foxtrot.”

It’s tough to break bad habits.
David MacRay

TwinOtterFan wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 5:48 pm

in the military years ago after Generation Kill came out, you could tell which soldiers watched it because you started hearing all the American radio terms over the net. The Canadian signalers were losing their minds.
The best I ever heard was a balloon pilot near YYC that kept using “10-4” responding to terminal. I laughed a bit every time.
TwinOtterFan

I would giggle at every 10-4, this reminded me of another one, saying over at the end of a transmission. I have to fight every fiber in my body to let go of the ptt and not say it lol.
Slick Goodlin

I talk on the radio like I’m paying by the word.
Squaretail

TwinOtterFan wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 5:48 pm

I was corrected 3 times yesterday while practicing forced approaches. I gave my position report, location, altitude ect ending with "practicing forced approaches" and I was corrected to "Practicing simulated forced approaches" I never did get it right.
Just tell people where you're at. No one cares what you're doing. One would hope that when other pilots hear where you're at, they will avoid you by just not matching their location with yours. If you must tell people what you're doing keep it simple, keep it short. Eastbound. Climbing westbound. Descending northbound.

I should say that instructors like to use (and their students to use) the word simulated and practice a lot. Whether you're doing it for real or not makes no practical difference for the rest of us listening. Though one would hope if you're really doing a forced approach the least important part of it is telling a bunch of random strangers within broadcast range who will be unlikely able to aid you.

Also if you're "for the flight levels" no one cares. That's just a weird flex on your part.

Now where's that appropriate Take Five bulletin....

Also... who corrected you? Your instructor?
TwinOtterFan

Ya it was my instructor he wanted me to say "practicing simulated forced approaches" instead of saying "practicing forced approaches"

I'm not disagreeing with ya, realistically if I make my position and workspace known I should be safe enough. But I'm a student and that is how he wanted it done.
David MacRay

If I am flying with an instructor I would probably say almost whatever they want.

Having said that a few years ago someone wrote a Guide to radio calls for the students. I’m not kidding, it actually had the phrase, even I used for a while last century but managed to quit, on it.

I did refuse to say it. Hope I never say it again unless I’m joking. After all, if someone is not telling me they are conflicting, they won’t change their mind just because I ask..
Squaretail

As a student, its your right to ask why your instructor wants something done a certain way. I'd be interested in his/her answer. Unless of course you feel there is a good reason already, then I'd be interested in your answer.