Canso/ PBY etc

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
anofly

who on here was crazy about canso's?

Chuck Ellsworth

They are a real neat airplane and a challenge to fly at times.

If I had the money I would buy one and make a flying motorhome out of it and tour the world.

They will fly non stop for twenty four hours if needed.
Slick Goodlin

Chuck Ellsworth wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:28 pm
They are a real neat airplane and a challenge to fly at times.

If I had the money I would buy one and make a flying motorhome out of it and tour the world.

They will fly non stop for twenty four hours if needed.
I tried to explain to my wife that we needed to get one to live on. We could be the envy of the yacht club and at the time her sister lived in Vancouver so if we wanted to visit we could just fly out and moor in the harbour. Her parents live a half mile from a big lake in northern Ontario too, so same deal there. A flying example costs about as much as a house and doesn’t depreciate. We even had water dogs at the time. She wasn’t having any of it.

I also tried to explain to my flying buddies that we needed one down on the grass strip. I figured that there are airshows that will fill your fuel tanks as a thanks for coming so 20 hours worth of fuel in a PBY must be able to get pumped back out for a year’s worth of fuel in a bunch of Cubs and Champs and stuff. They weren’t buying my scheme either.
Chuck Ellsworth

They are a bit pricey to fly fuel wise.

They average 72 imperial gallons per flying hour.

Bob Dick has one in Victoria and has owned it for decades.

I flew them for over 4500 hours and made a lot of money doing it. :mrgreen:
anofly

canso.jpg[/[attachment=0]canso.jpg
attachment]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
anofly

I have been flying to parry sound for about 40 yrs or so, Back in the 80's this gang of cansos, and aztec bird dogs to go with them, were based there. I shoulda bought a few!! LOL