Flying other things

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
esp803

I've recently accepted a position which doesn't fly a lot and I'm looking into options for more enjoyable recreational flying.

options: Glider (non self launch), keep in Invermere

Hang Glider? Paraglider? Para Motor? Share in an airplane?

I'll be honest, I'm leaning towards to hang gliding, thoughts?

E

HiFlyChick

Para motor looks like fun to me (I've tried paragliding a couple of times on vacation and really enjoyed it).  But the equipment seems like it could be so expensive that maybe you should just go out and rent a little 152 at the local flying club from time to time...

Ballooning looks like it'd be really fun, too, although the restrictions due to winds seem like a bit of a pain (and then there's those giant costs again :( )
Chuck Ellsworth

Esp803, if you ever get the chance to fly a Gyroplane you should do it because they are hands down the most fun flying machine ever invented.

However first do as much research as you can so when you do fly one you will be able to confirm it is a good safe machine with a experienced instructor.

Just Google the Gyroplane forum and there you will find everything you will need to know.

If you do decide to take a flight contact me first and I will make sure you have picked a good safe machines and a good instructor.

Chuck. E.
esp803

Never even thought about a Gyrocopter... Something to look into I suppose.
HiFlyChick

Chuck - you bring up a good point about doing research into the operator, including private owners that are enthusiastic about their machine and are willing to take you up just for fun.  I've been offered rides before in interesting machines  that I was tempted to take, but ended up avoiding in the end because although I knew the person offering was a really nice guy, I wasn't sure about his (a) training, (b) maintenance, or (c) experience.  Some of the smaller stuff (and sometimes private aircraft in general that are based away from major airports) are either less regulated or the regs less enforced.  In one case that I still feel sad about, the truly nice guy that I was tempted to go with ended up in a fatal accident due to getting into a situation beyond his or his machine's capabilities...
Chuck Ellsworth

One has to be careful when deciding who to fly with, especially when it comes to something quite different such as Gyroplanes because there are a lot of gyroplanes out there that are very unsafe due to being poorly designed.

Even though the Gyroplane as a very safe aircraft it can only be safe if it is designed and built correctly.

For instance one of the more popular designs that is available is the RAF 2000 unless these machines are modified by adding a horizontal stabilizer they can and will kill you if you misandle them and they bunt over.

So before you decide to try Gyroplanes be absolutely sure of the machine and the pilot with whom you plan on flying with.

If you follow the above advice you will experience the most maneuverable fun flying machine made.

Chuck E.