Redlaser.

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
Chuck Ellsworth

It would be interesting to know who Redlaser is over on Avcanada.

Avcanada sure has weird ideas on who to allow to post and who they moderate or outright ban when they allow a troll like that so much leeway..

Air Mail

most of the mods share his lunatic opinions.  They however obviously don't share yours.
Chuck Ellsworth

For years I posted on their forum and had very few of my posts removed.

However in the last few years their mods do not seem to like what I say there so I came over here.

I would like to think that on the whole over all the years I posted there I helped some pilots become better pilots.

In the final analysis for me it really does not affect my life or career because I no longer work in the industry and I am quite satisfied with the career I had.

Satisfied enough that I use my real name which is more than can be said about those who want my posts deleted.

:) :) :) :) :) :) :)

My intent here is to suggest that the mods over there are satisfied with posters who degrade all professional pilots from the luxury of anonymity.
Chuck Ellsworth

What bothers you Chuck? I don't see that much in his 100 posts.
What bothers me is his posts are often so ignorant of how airplanes operate it is disturbing.

An example is the one today about taking off in a Twin Otter, it is just plain trolling or an example of someone who does not have a clue about the subject.

Chuck Ellsworth

Read what he said.

you take off down wind

If you take off down wind you will be airborne when you turn into wind.

He is either a troll or an idiot or both.
Chuck Ellsworth

Yeh, you may be correct the post has disappeared.

This forum is read by a lot of the Avcanada posters and I would not be surprised if he reads us and decided to delete it.

Or one of the mods did.
CpnCrunch

Perhaps I'm being a little slow, but I'm not understanding what you mean. He's saying that you start the takeoff roll with a tailwind, do a step-turn into wind, then take off into wind. Isn't that the normal procedure for takeoff from a small lake. (His post does say "takeoff downwind", but that is clearly just a typo because later he says you're still on the water).
Chuck Ellsworth

I can only speak for me.

I can not recall ever being in a situation in a Twin Otter on floats that I could not take off into wind right from the start.

By the way I was Chief Pilot for Air West Airlines operating Twin Otters under IFR centre stored flight plans on floats in 1974/75, I then went on to fly them on wheels in the high Arctic.

In all the time I flew them I never got in a situation where I had to do a downwind start with a 180 degree turn into wind to get airborne because the take off area was to small to take off into wind...ever.

But that is just my own experience flying them.
CpnCrunch

Ah, ok, I thought you were just referring to his "takeoff" typo.

So, are you saying that it's bad airmanship to ever get into the situation of having to do a step-turn to takeoff in the available space, or does the twin otter just have sufficient power to never have to do that?
Chuck Ellsworth

In my opinion it is poor airmanship to ever attempt a take off that is under conditions that a normal into wind take off can not be done in any airplane.

Operating airplanes off airports is risky enough using normal airplane operating proceedures without adding to the risk factor by using an unorthodox procedure.

Maybe that is part of the reason I never had an accident?