OK - lets beat this one up

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
Liquid Charlie

Sitting here watching CBC news and they show a film clip of a guy ditching a suck and blow because he had gear problems. Now that seems to go against any logic I have. I personally would take the airport and emergency services. Am I smoking the wild weed here ??  Is this a prime example of a superior pilot decision making process.

vanNostrum

Bigger insurance cheque?
cloudrunner

He landed directly in front of the Island Seaplanes dock. Pat and Debbie watched him park it.

[url=https://goo.gl/maps/tVhdc91xnnH2]https://goo.gl/maps/tVhdc91xnnH2[/url]
ScudRunner-d95

Never been too Hawaii, but looking at that google image I would have chosen a few other places with cement long before the lagoon. I really think this sounds fishy VanNostrum might have hit the nail on the head.
HiFlyChick

Having recently watched the Mayday episode of the Ethiopian airlines ditching after fuel starvation and the resulting cartwheel, I don't think I could bring myself to choose water unless the only other option was the side of a mountain....
ScudRunner-d95

HiFlyChick wrote: Having recently watched the Mayday episode of the Ethiopian airlines ditching after fuel starvation and the resulting cartwheel, I don't think I could bring myself to choose water unless the only other option was the side of a mountain....
Its very odd that he circled for 2 hours and that was the best option he could think of.
Slick Goodlin

ScudRunner wrote: Its very odd that he circled for 2 hours and that was the best option he could think of.
What was he doing for the rest of the flight leading up to the problem?  Maybe he had some cargo he didn't want the airport firefighters to find.