Delta dumps fuel on LA

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
Scudrunner
Site Admin

5 out of 2 Pilots are Dyslexic.
Eric Janson

My company was involved in the fuel dumping in Fiasco in Orlando Summer 2019. I understand it is going to be expensive!

This re-current had a review of the fuel dumping procedures including all the indications on the FUEL page and the overhead panel. Then we ran the entire checklist - including the last part where you turn the switches OFF after dumping is completed.

A useful review - I don't recall ever doing this before.

Looks like they'll be doing this at Delta now as well.

I'm am not an NG aircraft driver - retired classic and doing a lot of flying out of Europe and with all the bull shit around fuel dumping I personally would accept a "heavy" landing. Far less fuss and a minor maintenance inspection and you were good to go again as soon as issue was addressed. My only time I would be looking at fuel dumping was in a 2 engine inop or for some reason the aircraft was struggling and then it was "dump to minimums" which would likely be started below TOCA. To request a dump in European airspace you were looking at over an hour of flying plus ATC just to get to an acceptable area to dump, North Sea was one area.

This incident in LA the crew will be filtered through the CRM system and all recorders pulled and if there is glaring holes in training or just a plain crew fuckup the shit could roll downhill and the union reps will be busy. Several scenarios could surface but we will never find out. If it turns out to be an un-commanded action done outside checklist I can only speculated on the fallout but the phrase "march the guilty bastards in" comes to mind.
Liquid_Charlie

I'm the guest -- I thought I logged in -- damn! and I got my virginity back with all this :lol:
"black air has no lift - extra fuel has no weight"