Which is more difficult?

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
Chuck Ellsworth

Which is more difficult, driving a truck or flying an airplane?

Chuck Ellsworth

O.K.

Eighteen wheeler Tractor Trailer.

Piper Navajo.
Liquid Charlie

Having done both I was always far more comfortable in an aeroplane -- driving a truck - especially in the winter was far more terrifying - try taking a trip down a hill backwards after a spinout on a hill -- ya---hoo!!!! and grab your ass or like many I know just open the door and step off and watch her go !!!!!!!
Chuck Ellsworth

Further comments on this subject.

When I drive my motor home on long trips I sometimes drive eight hours in a day.

It is just over nine feet wide and forty two feet long and weighs around forty thousand pounds.

It takes far more concentration to keep it in the lane I am driving in than it takes to keep an airplane on the heading you want it to be.

At the end of the day I am far more tired than I ever was flying any airplane for the same amount of time.
mmm...bacon

Day, VMC, summer,light winds, out and about, I daresay that they are both easy..night, IMC, winter, strong winds, traffic, they are both difficult..
Chuck Ellsworth wrote:
At the end of the day I am far more tired than I ever was flying any airplane for the same amount of time.
You've been (semi) retired for how long now? 10 years, are you perhaps looking at the fatigue factor through rose-tinged glasses? Also, (not trying to be a d!ck..) you are getting older, and that might have something to do with your fatigue level?
Chuck Ellsworth

No doubt as one ages one tires faster.

I am quite fortunate in that I still am quite active, but of course not as active as when I was younger.

My comparing truck driving and flying is based on having driven 18 wheelers for many years when I was younger and on the tens of thousands of hours driving aircraft.

Truck driving is more difficult than driving aircraft from my experience with both.
Liquid Charlie

No doubt as one ages one tires faster.
Maybe so but we work more efficiently and tire at a slower rate -- haha -- I can still drive YYZ to YXL non stop but normally I'd rather stop in the Sault for beer and wings -- and 14 hour duty days well -- I have now turned into a 12 hour guy using the last 2 hours for screw ups -- I can never figure out how an operator figures that there are 28 hours in a day -- seriously -- fatigue is an issue - especially in 703 where the invincibility of youth creates stupid decisions (likely because fatigued) and not admitting it -- I hope I'm still active when the new rules come into play just to see the reaction --  >:D