Note from 35-yr old pilot to 15-yr old self

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
Colonel

Lots of good observations here:

http://airfactsjournal.com/2015/07/lett ... ent-pilot/

[quote]Earning your private pilot license will be harder than you think ...

Your instrument instructor will be a bear. Suck it up ... your CFII will push you like a drill sergeant.

You’ll think you’re a great pilot. Then you’ll fly a tailwheel airplane.

Just because it’s legal, doesn’t mean it’s safe.

Flying will make you a better father.

Everybody is faking it. When will you be a “real pilot?” Never.

When you pass 1000 hours and still feel like you have so much to learn, it’s because you do. But relax – the guy who just passed 10,000 hours feels the same way.[/quote]

I didn't write this (and neither did Chuck) but
it sure sounds familiar, doesn't it?

Gravel Digger

I like this guy. Really great advice that should be carved in stone and placed at every FTU.

I remember hitting 1000 hours and thinking the same thing. Why does CFIT still frighten me? Why does inadvertant IMC in a poorly equipped aircraft still freak me out? I thought I was supposed to be some sort of cowboy at that point, but didn't have the gut for it. Turns out that gut was trying to keep me alive this whole time. Thanks gut, have a beer on me.

jump154

Thanks for posting. I can see a lot of what has happened to me in there - I was wondering why at 230 hours I feel less confident than I did at 75..... nice to see this is normal. On to working at getting better.
Gravel Digger

Nice, Dick. I mean that apostrophe, that's a big deal there, see? Little details, makes us all better aviators