Most risky flying decisions.

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
Chuck Ellsworth

On the other site I just started this subject and would like to also post it here to see how the experienced people in aviation answer compared to the posters over there.

What is the most risky flying decisions you have to make with regard to weather?

Or what type of weather do you least like to fly in?

Eric Janson

I did a flight once where we ran into a band of freezing rain. Destination was reporting good weather so we continued.

The ice really packed on and I needed to increase prop rpm several times to sling the ice off.

With all the ice on the aircraft I kept the power on and speed high until touchdown. As the tail came down the control wheel was ripped out of my hands as one of the ailerons stalled.

Visual inspection showed ice had even formed on the back side of raised rivet heads on the wing - never seen that before or since.

Another time we landed right after a band of freezing rain had moved through our destination. Windshields iced over during the approach and by raising a wiper slightly the Captain had a small clear patch to see through.

We asked for a runway condition report but the vehicle they'd sent out to take reading had skidded off the runway.

After landing the Captain put the mixtures in cut-off and we rolled to the exit without braking. Mixtures rich, engines started again and we carefully taxied to the terminal.

Freezing rain is the worst weather to fly in imho.
Chris

VFR into IMC as a student pilot. Because I was stupid.
Rookie Pilot

Got into IMC in unforecasted smoke of all things, from a distant forest fire, high over the front range, then a (mild) case of mountain wave in turbulence, while in the IMC.  Not cool in a non turbo single engine, though I remained well clear of terrain.

Should have diverted. Upper winds were too high. Lasted 20 minutes, which was long enough.
Slick Goodlin

Ever make a decision so dumb the guy in tower leaves so he doesn’t have to watch?  I’m pretty glad I got the chance to grow up.
Colonel

Both icing and Cb’s should have killed me by now.

Widespread unforecast 0/0 can get sporty but at
least a 0/0 landing is doable with a Cat 1 ILS in
a pinch.

Broken airplanes can make flying not so fun.  The
hard part is figuring out what is going on.
Rookie Pilot

[quote author=Slick Goodlin link=topic=9391.msg25873#msg25873 date=1543329722]
Ever make a decision so dumb the guy in tower leaves so he doesn’t have to watch?  I’m pretty glad I got the chance to grow up.
[/quote]

Winner.  O0
ScudRunner-d95

Low visibility in heavy smoke, took off VFR east bound to deliver supplies. I never considered the sun would be right in my eye low on the horizon an hour later flying back west reducing my visibility considerably.
I knew the route well, I had practiced flying low level whenever I could even on clear days.

Lets say I noticed the river I was following wasn't running the way it should. I was so focused in the shit following the shore line I had turned up a tributary.

I learned a few lessons that day, also earned a few grey hairs I wear with pride.
Colonel

When I was younger, reduced visibility was a concern but then I
realized that the aircraft couldn't give a shit, so it's a lower priority.

Years ago, flying back from NB, I loaded up a piston twin with ice at
night, descending through a layer of "moderate" ice at my destination. 
Sigh.  The alcohol system on the windshield was a joke.  Went through
it with the VSI pegged down and the heat cranked up but that didn't help. 

Once I was underneath the layer, I could see a little out the side, but I
was totally blind forwards - I had to land with zero forward visibility and
of course no ILS.  The aircraft seemed to fly ok, with the boots cycling
and the prop heat on.

Thing is, I had thousands of hours flying stupid little biplanes that the
AvCan brain trust tells us are completely fucking useless and stupid,
so zero forward visibility for landing was really not a big deal - I've done
thousands of them.

Peeking out the little hole on the left side window, with the gear and flaps
down, I did a Pitts-style descending-U approach to a nice landing, keeping
the runway lights in sight.

I don't do ice any more.  I don't even see ice or snow any more.  At all.
Trey Kule

Thunderstorms...I avoid them like the plague...and icing.  After 50 years of flying I still do not like ice at all...any ice.
I shudder when I read how some young pilot flirts with it because they are convinced they have an out.

The rest of the weather issues like landing in blowing snow or sand are rather unpleasant, but rare, and do not pose the same amount of risk.