In Andy's honour. 4 bars. (Sunwing plane avoided 'catastrophic' disaster)

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
Colonel

Rookie Pilot

Thought you might like that one. See, we are friends. 
ScudRunner-d95

Help me understand the 737 system for this. (only boeing I flew was the 727)
Could you not firewall that bitch when your realize something was fucky? or does Hal2000 only give you what it thinks is best for you?

edit: just read you would have to hit TOGO to make that happen.
Colonel

[quote]you would have to hit TOGO[/quote]

Would that have been mentioned at some point in their type rating training?
Nark1

I’ll double check with my buddy, but you’re  telling me on the fine product from Renton, if you push the thrust levers all the way forward, you won’t get max thrust?

It’s not until you hit TOGA, you get go around thrust? [ie max...]

Reason 634 why Airbus is superior to Boeing 73’s.  The thrust will match where the thrust levers are.  It’s more complicated than that with autothrust engaged, but I’ll leave it at that.
Eric Janson

[quote author=ScudRunner link=topic=9377.msg25802#msg25802 date=1542943297]
Help me understand the 737 system for this. (only boeing I flew was the 727)
Could you not firewall that bitch when your realize something was fucky? or does Hal2000 only give you what it thinks is best for you?

edit: just read you would have to hit TOGO to make that happen.
[/quote]

Yes you can. On take-off the autothrottle goes into an 'arm' mode. Means that you need to push the throttles forward if you want more thrust. Selecting TOGA at this point does nothing except to reset the N1 limit to show TOGA thrust.

I was taught to [b]always[/b] follow up manually on the throttles.

Unusually low N1 values should trigger a response.

A few months ago we had a situation where the fuel required and flight time were incorrectly being displayed. All data appeared to be correct - 3 of us couldn't find any mistake. During the flight my colleague found that he had omitted the '-' sign at the top of climb temperature. The computer was planning with +40 instead of -40. It's easy to do and not always easy to find.

If the computer is giving strange results temperature data should be the first thing to look at.
Nark1

Eric:
I did that on the bus, which limited our cruise perf. I think we were limited to 2-5-0 or something.  Took a second but we figured it out. 
ScudRunner-d95

I should have known better to believe one of an Avcanada poster.

So you Radar power her she will giver........

makes sense. [quote author=Colonel Sanders link=topic=9377.msg25805#msg25805 date=1542946907]

[quote]you would have to hit TOGO[/quote]

Would that have been mentioned at some point in their type rating training?
[/quote]

I would hope so.
Liquid Charlie

[youtube] [/youtube]

;D