ScudRunners.com Update

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
ScudRunner-d95

Hi everyone, I thought I would take a minute to update you on a few things happening with this site.

As you may know I have a little one now so family and summer time fun and the odd time work trip keep drawing my attention elsewhere. I have learned that things that wouldn't take me much time before take waaaaaaaaaaaay longer with kids around.

So to the update:

The aircraft sales still says under construction,  I should be beta testing a version I like by the end of the week and hopefully get some traffic on there asap.

Updates for the Forum: I have some plugins for embedding youtube but evertime I upload them it crashes the site, I have figure out the why of that but it is beyond my computer skills to fix it. So I have a friend of a friend who will be coming on board pro bono to correct that soon. In the mean time if you have a youtube video to embed, paste the embeded url that youtube lets you cut and paste then surround it with HTML like this

HTML youtube clip url then /HTML

Then [ ]  around the HTML and /HTML .
I can't put those brackets around it on this message because it wouldn't show up on here, basically those brackets tell the computer to go look for whats in between those HTML things.

Membership, we are up to 69 Members and growing all the time, help spread the word and like us on facebook.

Advertising on the site, I will begin to put up targeted paid advertisements on here, these ads and the ones appearing now will help offset the cost of running the site. FOR THE RECORD, it costs about 120 bucks to host a site and another 15 bucks for the domain each year. This site has so far generated 68 bucks! with only being around 4 months we are on target to reach my break even goal this year. The extra money will be put back into the site to make the user experience better and ad features as we can afford.

Private boards: If you have a company/Group/ flying club etc, and you would like to have your own private board on here let me know and I can create them, these boards would be self administered and for those members eyes only. I promise I won't look either.

I have a few things I am cooking up and will reveal them when I can.

Thanks Again everyone and as always please let me know any suggestion you may have.

Cheers

ScudRunner

Colonel

Thanks Neil!!
David MacRay

Forum is great. Thanks! YouTube imbed would be bonus.

One forum I've been on for years has [youtube] tags and you just have to put in the ID number.

Let me know if you want a link so you or your computer guy can looky.
cloudrunner

Thanks for the update and for the efforts Neil.
BMac

Things with a newborn don't take THAT long. I have only been meaning to sign up since our CRM course 3 months ago.... Which is only about a month or so longer than my normal procrastinating time.
ScudRunner-d95

Hmm so we have discovered that my hosting company Host Gator the software to power this forum when it was loaded had some files missing hence when I install the plugins for the Youtube integration etc cause it to crash. Which is why I was getting confused because when I played around with it initially on another site I host on GoDaddy it worked just fine.

So I'm going to move the hosting over to Godaddy, they have very good support and easy software integration. You shouldn't notice anything other than maybe a few hour down time. Essentially I make a clone of this site upload it to GoDaddy test it then once I make sure everything is Kosher I flip the switch. So everything should port over, passwords posts etc.

Now all I need is time to do this
Gravel Digger

Looking good so far. Does everyone get the same meet Asian women advertisement?  I know the ads are based on history, but seriously baby, that's not my bag. I meet enough of those in the left lane of the QEW.
Chuck Ellsworth

[quote]I meet enough of those in the left lane of the QEW.[/quote]

Maybe you should try meating them in the left lane of the QEW.  :)
praveen4143

Are you sure about GoDaddy? I've heard they're pretty bad. (25th hand knowledge, so take with a huge serving of salt)
ScudRunner-d95

hmm ill check into that I know Godaddy is more user friendly I have created a few things hosted by them and the support was top notch. That being said they where pretty basic stuff so not a ton of bandwidth and users like this site.