Dave flys a Citabria?

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
David MacRay

This will be the blog to put Scudrunners on the map. If there is a map.
Maybe it will bump it up a few positions on google search?

At any rate I am going to see if I can fit in the Citabria at the Calgary Flying Club and wether or not I think I can safely operate the thing. I might make a video if it actually happens.

Here we go.

Chapter 1.

I phoned the club and talked to dispatch. Left me contact info and found out there is a 30 person wait list to get a check ride. Now we wait to talk to an instructor.

Nark1

Dave,

That's fantastic!  You'll be slightly more of a man and a better pilot with some tail wheel time!

Secondly: a 30 person wait to get a flight/checkout in it?!?!?!?😦

Holy fook!!!
Nark1

If I remember correctly, in canada a flight instructor isn't required for tailwheel.

Is there no one in the area that can fly a tailwheel?!?!?

Hot dang....

Chuck Ellsworth

Great!!

The Citabria has more room than a Cub / Super Cub and is easier to get into and out of.

It is a pussycat to handle and you will have no problem with it, just remember to control any yaw you see with the rudder.

After you fly the Citabria find someone with a Fleet Canuck and fly that to see the difference between a tandem seating and a side by side seating airplane.

The Canuck is my favourite tail wheel training airplane.
David MacRay

I have lost a lot of fat this year, funny how my shoulders are still so far apart. Weird. I doubt I'd fit in a side by side. It was pretty tight when I took a fan flight in a 150 when I was just a tiny 210 pound tyke.

I'm not bad with yaw but I'm spoiled since most of my time is in the mighty 172.

[quote author=Nark link=topic=8347.msg23071#msg23071 date=1524873400]
If I remember correctly, in canada a flight instructor isn't required for tailwheel.

Is there no one in the area that can fly a tailwheel?!?!?

Hot dang....
[/quote]

I suspect once they get through the wait list there should be at least a few more. Club plane club rules, need to play with their instructors. I should have done it last year when they were only behind by a week or two. Oh well.

If I win a medium sized lottery prize say $100 000, I'd look at some other options, otherwise I'm going to have to carry on flying whenever I squirrel away $200.

Plus I still would like to buy another fun automobile one day.
Slick Goodlin

[quote author=David MacRay link=topic=8347.msg23073#msg23073 date=1524878927]
I'm not bad with yaw but I'm spoiled since most of my time is in the mighty 172.
[/quote]
If you’re the kind of person who enjoys being good at things then the building blocks are already there.  I think you’re going to love it.
David MacRay

I used to be. I'm still the kind of person who likes good pizza.
ScudRunner-d95

yikes 30 person wait list

:o
David MacRay

It's 100 person wait list for renter's check on the 172. And just because I did a couple last year, I can't jump the line.
cgzro

Citabria is a great little plane. We had a purplish/pink one a few years ago that I used to fly Vintage Wings volunteers in. Almost as much fun as a J3.