Getting paid for a checkouts

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
Fendermandan

I don't think this is legal even if one has CPL and no Instructor rating and OC, but heard it bunch of times from folks  that I should charge for them.

Lets open the CARs  :-\ 

Colonel

What CAR would you be contravening?
Chuck Ellsworth

The Boogyman CAR?
Fendermandan

Checked the CARs out and did not find anything. I allowed a cranky TC guy put an impression on me. Thanks for the help.
Colonel

PPL can do checkout, for Christ's sake. 

Just can't get paid for it.

There is more BS in aviation than almost
any other human endeavour.

Remember, plenty of TC Inspectors try to
bully you into doing what they want, but
it is not required by regulations.  They
become enraged when you call them on
it, incidentally.  I remember plenty of guys
like that from schoolyards.

-- EDIT --

A few years back, a student pilot (of mine)
checked out a retired Transport Inspector
ATP on a spiffy airplane. 

The ATP struggled, and my student had to
help him fly it.  The ATP's airspeed control
on final was dangerously poor - wing drop
short of the threshold.  Dicey.

So in that instance, we have a SPP holder
checking out an ATP.
praveen4143

My $0.02 is that if the aircraft is under 12,500 lbs (or 5,700 kgs?) MTOW, then you are technically already certified to fly it under the blanket single engine non-high performance airplane tagline on your [b]LICENSE[/b]

So, a checkout can essentially mean someone who has flown the type and is comfortable enough to bail you out of trouble is all you need.

Like the Colonel has said plenty of times before, make sure you know the aircraft, be it the bookish part (POH) or what button/lever does what and where it is... There's some of my students I would say just jump in and go from a Cessna to a Piper or Beech and reverse but a nose wheel to tail wheel might be a bit trickier.

Of course, if you go to insurance, they might get you to go to a CPL/ATPL with a flight instructor rating to get the requisite training.

An FTU might have to put in some extra rules either because of management or because they are plain and simple worried about an unknown person breaking their airplane. So, in this case a checkout from an instructor is required for their policy.

I've come across loads of people who never flew the aircraft they purchased and get checked out by the previous owner during the purchase.
Chuck Ellsworth

[quote]

Of course, if you go to insurance, they might get you to go to a CPL/ATPL with a flight instructor rating to get the requisite training.[/quote]

Why would you need an instructors rating?
praveen4143

[quote author=Chuck Ellsworth link=topic=413.msg1526#msg1526 date=1435963410]
Why would you need an instructors rating?
[/quote]

I had one such person show up.. Insurance wanted him to get a recurrent training done with an instructor before they'd let him train on his piper Comanche 250 (I dunno all the details he worked with a colleague of mine)

Then again insurance is sometimes a joke.. They dunno what the hell to ask for!