Australia to allow Foreign Pilots

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
ScudRunner-d95

[url=https://www.reuters.com/article/us-aust ... SKBN1EN08J]Australia to allow foreign pilots[/url]

Now if New Zealand did the same I might consider it.

Nark1

Subscription required...
ScudRunner-d95

Ya that is the same news, weird somehow must have allowed me a one time viewing, I am quiet certain I don't have a subscription to Adelaide Now.  ;D

ill change the link
Eric Janson

My understanding is that it is only a temporary visa - not a path to permanent residency.

At best you will be able to work at the Regional Airlines - who want Type Rated Pilots and don't want to pay to train anyone.

I have seen how difficult the path to permanent residency is - a lot of the hotel staff where I stay in Australia are doing this. The requirements are very stringent.

That said it's a lovely country - wish I'd discovered this 20 years ago!
Nark1

The Aussies have a contingent of Soldiers in Iraq.  Based solely on that, ( how gorgeous the medical staff is...) seems like a great Country to plant roots!

*Margot Robbie, Elle MacPierson etc...
ScudRunner-d95

there's your in! um hey good day doc im like sick giggty
ramjet555

The cause and source of this "shortage" is simply trying to pay pilots less.
Word is that there are plenty of pilots except they go overseas to places like
Canada , the USA on the Class E-3 Visa program.

Here is the real good news for Canadians.
Got an IPC on a sim? got an Instructor Rating, Type Rating,
Australia CASA will convert it to Australian...

However Canada does not reciprocate with Instructor Ratings, yes
Australians who have to do around 20 more hours of flight training
have to do another 30 hours ground and air to get a lowly Class 4.

If you are under 30, or want to take a year off, go grab a no fuss visa and
start some adventure,  getting a flying job just might be a bit harder but not
by much as in Canada.

[color=#3f3f40][font=knowledge-medium][size=40px]Australia expected to ease visa restrictions on foreign pilots as planes left grounded[/size][/font][/color]

Australia earlier this year removed pilots from a list of eligible professions allowed to work in the country as so-called skilled migrants amid a crackdown to promote “Australia-first”.
With a global shortage of pilots, Australia’s international carriers have lost staff to competitors, forcing them to recruit from domestic carriers, who are in turn employing trained pilots from smaller regional airlines.
Unable to source enough pilots, Australia’s regional carriers have been forced to cancel flights, but Mike Higgins, chief executive officer of the industry body, the Regional Aviation Association of Australia, said the country’s government has told him it will ease restrictions in January.

“The government has said it will add pilots to the skilled migrant visa list in January and they will be able to work in Australia for two years,” said Higgins.
Representatives for Australia’s minister for home affairs Peter Dutton did not immediately respond to request for comment.
A relaxation of visa restrictions would be provide some relief to Australia’s rural travelers, which have been beset by frequent flight cancellations.
According to Australian government data, 3 percent of domestic flights were canceled in November, the highest monthly level in nearly six years. Cancellations of Australian domestic flights hit a high of more than 5 percent in December 2011 when a volcanic ash cloud from Chile grounded flights.
The carriers that had the most cancellations were Virgin Australia Holdings Ltd and QantasLink, the regional carrier of Qantas Airways Ltd, the data showed.
Representatives for both companies did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
Australia’s center-right government can ill-afford to alienate rural voters, a central voter block for Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull, who is struggling to keep his grip onto power.
Australia’s opposition Labor Party welcomed the likely visa relaxation but said the government must do more to improve the ability of locals to train as pilots.
“We need to make sure we can keep our planes in the air, you can’t train pilots in just a day or a week or a month,” Anthony Albanese told reporters on Friday.
“The problem is training enough Australian pilots to fulfill our domestic aviation needs.”

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-aust ... SKBN1EN08J