Two on missing plane - single-engine Mooney

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
ramjet555

[size=29px][font=Open Sans][color=rgb(0, 0, 0)][url=https://www.castanet.net/news/Penticton ... sing-plane]Two on missing plane[/url][/color]
[color=rgb(0, 0, 0)][url=https://www.castanet.net/reporter/Alanna-Kelly]Alanna Kelly[/url][/color] - Nov 26, 2017 / 9:14 pm
[/size]

[size=14px]Update: 9:15 p.m. [/size][size=14px]Castanet has now confirmed that Dominic Neron was on the plane at the time of takeoff from Penticton on Saturday. [/size][size=14px]The sister of Neron told Castanet the search has ended for the day. [/size][size=14px]"I pray he is ok," Tammy Neron said. "I don't know anything and they haven't had any luck so far." [/size][size=14px]"Last I heard the crews stopped [searching] at sun fall." [/size]Castanet will update when more information becomes available. Original: 3:01
Search and rescue crews are looking for a small aircraft that took off from Penticton on Saturday and disappeared on its way to Alberta, according to a Canadian Coastguard official.
Two people were on board the single-engine Mooney aircraft when it left the Penticton Regional Airport at 2:30 p.m. yesterday.
It was expected to land in Edmonton, but never arrived.
Katelyn Moores, spokesperson for the Joint Rescue Co-ordination Centre Victoria said “they reported the overdue aircraft at about 10:40 p.m. Saturday.”
A search for the white aircraft with burgundy striping, started late Saturday night and went into the morning Sunday.
A Hercules aircraft conducted an electronic search, but could not find anything, according to Moores.
“Their last known position was approximately two miles north of Revelstoke,” said Moores.
The name registered to the aircraft is Dominic Neron, of Spruce Grove, Alberta, who has been registered since September, 9 2017. The Mooney aircraft was manufactured in 1963.
A Cormorant helicopter helicopter, a Buffalo aircraft from Canadian Forces Base Comox, two Parks Canada helicopters and a chartered helicopter from Arrow Helicopters out of Revelstoke have all been involved in the search.
“The focus right now is from Revelstoke to Golden, focusing on the Rogers Pass area,” she said. "The pilot's cellphone pinged about 32 kilometres northeast of Revelstoke."
There were three Civil Air Search and Rescue Association aircrafts from Kelowna that attempted to assist but could not fly due to the bad weather.
“The weather is deteriorating in the area so it is effecting the search efforts,” she said.
All surrounding airports have also been checked for the aircraft.Castanet will update when more information becomes available.

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... 59-21-.htm

Rookie Pilot

Facts known: 

I know I'm just a lowly CPL living in the flatlands -- certainly not a West based FLIGHT INSTRUCTOR-- but ---

Even I recognize:  mountain flying + late fall season + 230 pm departure with sun setting by what? 330-4pm?+deteriorating weather that SAR couldn't fly shortly after+ low performance AC (probably) = a heck of lot higher basket of risks than I'd be willing to take.

But I'm just a lowly private pilot. Can't obviously assess anything, although I've managed to successfully fly in almost every province -- and most of the states too. Most flights I'd repeat.  The occasional one, like single engine over 90 minutes one way north of the last road, to the James Bay coast, I likely wouldn't.  Muskeg in retrospect doesn't offer a very appealing option as a forced approach option.

Would be nothing for class 4's, as proven by the St Catharines club accident. Those bars must equal amazing flying ability and experience, right Shiny?  I'm not a real man by comparison. I'll keep reviewing those checklists.

Btw I've flown those rocks, too, where the accident happened.  And in Colorado, where the airports are higher than most of the highest points in the Canadian rocks. In a 172.  Still alive.

Maybe reading weather and actually learning something about fronts, upper winds in the mountains, temperatures and the unpleasantness of icing, would be better focus than 2 pages on how to taxi for training purposes.

Flight instructors really suck at teaching advanced weather concepts, beyond looking out the window. Haven't met one who knew weather worth shit. I studied it myself. Diligently.

Not every PPL is a blithering idiot, Shiny.  Some of us actually have a wee bit more experience than the instructors in your playpen. But I'm sure they could land within 10 feet of the same spot every time at the home airport.  Easy if that's the only place you fly. 

ScudRunner-d95

There hasn’t been an update as far as I know, doesn’t look good.
David MacRay

This is tragic.

I went to AvCanada because I enjoy the dating ads.

I read their thread for this hoping for a little closure. Someone close to the girlfriend joined and it became a good example of why "That pilot should have..." Posts are bad on public forums. I can't disagree with the post, "I would have went to a motel in Revelstoke." I was thinking that too.

I'm a chicken in the mountains. Those things won't budge for my airplane.

She left behind three children. Stay safe folks.
Colonel

I sometimes wonder if we do people a dis-service by
creating such a gentle, nurturing world for them with
soft, rounded corners everywhere.

Because aviation isn't like that.  Neither are sport bikes,
and I love them both because of how rewarding and
unforgiving they are.

[img width=500 height=295][/img]

That's what a quarter mile in 10 seconds looks like.

Despite what most people think, the development of
skill and knowledge [i]might[/i] just be worth something.

Paper is what you use to wipe your ass with, after
you take a dump.  Unless you are civilized and have a
japanese toilet.  I understand Canadians don't like them.
JW Scud

[quote author=Colonel Sanders link=topic=7544.msg21261#msg21261 date=1513903732]
Paper is what you use to wipe your ass with, after
you take a dump.  Unless you are civilized and have a
japanese toilet.  I understand Canadians don't like them.
[/quote]

As a matter of fact, I do have one. Heated water, various spray patterns. Works well. I get a lot of reading done.
David MacRay

I was back today looking at "find your perfect czech mate" and see they found the plane a few days ago. Still a sad story but at least there is some closure.
Colonel

Meanwhile, down the street from me, someone actually
[i]killed themselves[/i], merely trying to land a Mooney M20J:

[url=https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/09/04/ ... r-airport/]https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/09/04/ ... r-airport/[/url]

I only have around 400 hours, flying and instructing in
that particular type of Mooney - M20J - but IMHO it's a
good, solid, honest airplane with no bad habits.  Built
like a fucking tank.  Pull the seats and interior sometime
and look at the spar center section.  Beechcraft, eat your
heart out.
David MacRay

That's harsh too.