Importing Aerobatic Aircraft with Exemption

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
aerosport

Hello,

I am looking at importing an aerobatic aircraft from Europe or USA for competition aerobatics and airshow purposes.

Some of the aircraft are not certified in Canada ie. Extra 300S, XA42, Sukhoi SU-26. I am fine with the aircraft not being certified and it looks like one could operate under CAR Standard 507.03 (5)(c).

I was looking for similar aircraft in Canada and it looks like Pete Mcleod is operating under this exemption. http://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/saf-sec-sur/2/c ... hSimp.aspx

Does anyone have any experience with importing an aircraft under this exemption?

I have never purchased an aircraft before and I am stuck on how to import a exotic aircraft such as these.

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

Colonel

Oh wow.

You need to find the "Minister's Delegate"
for import in your area - not an AME. 

The MD is the guy who issues the C of A
(and associated mtce sched). 99.9% of
AME's will have no clue about this.

C of R is easy.

I have imported many weird and wonderful
aircraft (certified, homebuilt, ex-military)
and please please please get some advice
from an expert on this before you buy.

As always, the paperwork in aviation can
make your life a living hell if you are not
careful.

PS  You are basically looking for the Cdn
equivalent of FAA experimental/exhibition
or experimental/air race, not experimental/
amateur built.  I've done all three.
ScudRunner-d95

Welcome Aerosport, I see you have met Colonel already.

I saw his post on Avcanada and invited him over,  said you should get in touch with Colonel on here, as he would be the man to talk to, hope you can help him out.

Chuck Ellsworth

The Colonel can advise you on your sex life as well.....he has some interesting views on that subject. :) :D ;D >:( :o
aerosport

Thanks for the input guys!

Colonel, I will look into the MD in my area. I wasn't sure how to do this.  I talked to the guys at Southeast Aero in florida but they weren't sure who to contact regarding this.

I guess the first thing would be to figure out the logistics with Transport.

Looks like I will be reducing my budget to around $180k max, so the XA42 is out for now.  Sounds like the Extra 300 is a good plane up to Advanced category but not competitive in Unlimited.  Keeping my eye out for an SU-26. Any idea if the Extra 300S can keep up to the SU-26 in the unlimited category?

Thanks again for the help!
Tailwind W10

Starting point is to get on their website:
http://www.md-ra.com/

Once you get onto their main page there's a link at the top right "Complete Import Procedure".

Good luck
Gerry
Colonel

Er, no.  He is not importing a homebuilt.

He needs a regular MD-M

http://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/saf-sec-sur/2/C ... x?lang=eng

aerosport

Thanks guys. I am going to look into this.

What do you guys think about buying a Florida based plane.  Probably not worth the risk of corrosion hey?
Arctic Navigator

Nothing wrong with a Florida based plane unless its been sitting outside and not flown for significant time periods.  Make sure you do your homework on the plane and find a mechanic that is as familiar as you can find with that type of aircraft to do the pre buy on it.  DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES SKIMP OR SKIP THE PRE BUY!!!  That will be the cheapest part of owning any aircraft you ever will, and is the cheapest insurance you'll ever get to make sure you're not buying a lemon or worse a plane that can't be imported.

There are MD-M's scattered all across Canada, and a few based in the US even, but being that this is going to be a unique import, make sure you find one familiar with doing this type of import.  Again, cheap insurance to make sure it gets done.

Good luck on your hunt, we're all looking forward to seeing the pictures of your new ride!!!
Tailwind W10

[quote author=Colonel link=topic=329.msg1181#msg1181 date=1435113858]
Er, no.  He is not importing a homebuilt.

He needs a regular MD-M

http://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/saf-sec-sur/2/C ... x?lang=eng
[/quote]

Aw crap, you're right.  Sorry for the mislead

Gerry