Falcon 7X Lands on Ice Runway in the Antarctic

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
ScudRunner-d95

[b]Falcon 7X Lands on Ice Runway in the Antarctic[/b]

Source: [url=http://frontpage.scudrunners.com/falcon ... antarctic/]Falcon 7X Lands on Ice Runway in the Antarctic[/url]

Liquid Charlie

We were landing a 72-200 on the ice because even though the 200 series was not certified for gravel ops like the 100 series TC deemed an ice strip "Hard Surface" now the refueling -- wonder if that got as high as I was charged at the north pole $28/L -- never did find out who paid that bill -- LMFAOooooo
ScudRunner-d95

wow 28 bucks a liter lol,

Rental car agreement said if I didn't return it will full gas I would be charged 9 bucks a gallon
Ref Plus 10

Looks like Troll Station (NOR) with the 12000 feet of impeccably smooth ice and very friendly people...cause who doesn't love a Scandinavian...Now lemme at 'em with the 767!  Was at Novo (Russian station a few hundred miles down the coast) when a 727 came in to the blue ice runway, full reverse to the end...compressor stall or slide off the end...tough choice to be made in Antarctica.
Eric Janson

Landing on blue ice usually means no braking. The wind tends to polish the ice and it becomes a skating rink.

The trick is to go up and down the runway with tracked vehicles to roughen up the ice - then it's similar to landing on a gravel runway.
JW Scud

[quote author=Eric Janson link=topic=6059.msg16066#msg16066 date=1492930502]
Landing on blue ice usually means no braking. The wind tends to polish the ice and it becomes a skating rink.

The trick is to go up and down the runway with tracked vehicles to roughen up the ice - then it's similar to landing on a gravel runway.
[/quote]

We used to call it scarifying.