Wingview Wednesday

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
Colonel

Excellent. I love the smell of Camguard on final. It’s the smell of victory over internal corrosion.

Slick Goodlin

Colonel wrote:
Wed May 29, 2024 10:02 pm
Excellent. I love the smell of Camguard on final. It’s the smell of victory over internal corrosion.
I’m giving the CamGuard a trial run in an A40 to see how I like it and how the engine likes it. If the stuff for some reason disagrees with the old engines I don’t want to go exploding all of my shit in the same summer.
0654459E-9125-4DF9-9466-87B7E06E6EBF.jpeg
Bottoms up!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Colonel

I use Camguard to slow down internal corrosion which is a terrible problem with Lycoming with
flat (not roller) tappets. Not sure how much of a problem that is to you. I have found over the years,
that Camguard also reduces valve sticking when an engine sits for too long. No idea how that works.

I note that you use 100 instead of W100. The ashless dispersant W100 would probably make the
inside of your engine cleaner than (straight mineral) 100 but if you aren't having a problem with
varnish or deposits, disregard. If you really want to clean out the deposits inside your engine and
have it nice and shiny, run some AvBlend in the oil. It's a solvent.

My winter oil is W100 and 10% Camguard, and my summer oil is W120 and 10% Camguard, because
I live someplace that never gets cold. Well, not in my opinion. Riding my motorcycle in my shirtsleeves,
when the temp drops below 60F I ride past people walking down the street wearing Canada Goose
puffy jackets and hats and scarves and mitts, and I try not to choke when I laugh so hard I swallow
my chewing gum. They ignore the meth-cooking Viking (in their view) on the liter bike.

Owner/pilots rarely listen to me, but when they do, I recommend Camguard in the oil and a battery
tender to reduce sulfation. It really extends your battery life and it's always charged up when you
want to fly. In my garage right now, I have 5 motorcycles connected to battery tenders. $30 on
Amazon. Machinery that is not operated every day needs a little extra care: Camguard and
battery tender.
Slick Goodlin

Ain’t no batteries to tend.

As for the W100, I worry the internal crud would have no place to go as there’s not a filter among any of the fleet either.
Slick Goodlin

But anyways:
A7A1EA6C-5384-483A-AB7D-4E1C0013C9B4.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Colonel

W100, I worry the internal crud would have no place to go as there’s not a filter among any of the fleet either.
None of my Lycomings or Continental have oil filters, either. That's when you need the AD W100 - it suspends the crap.

Anyways, it doesn't matter. If mineral oil works for your engine, it works for your engine :-)

Great picture. Sometimes I really miss life outside the bubble. It's funny when I say that to
the locals, whom lack such awareness that they are even living in an artificial bubble. Too funny.
See Dunning-Krueger, I guess. People don't know, what they don't know.
Slick Goodlin

Colonel wrote:
Fri May 31, 2024 2:18 pm
Sometimes I really miss life outside the bubble.
I can’t imagine chugging along in an 89 year old airplane over anything other than endless farmland. Having to live in one of the big American cities would kill my soul, there’s nowhere comfortable to fly.

No wonder so many of the antiques have made their way to Iowa.
Colonel

I do miss Kakabeka Falls. My family has some nice plots at the O’Connor Township cemetery.

You’re going to laugh but at lunch I have suggested that people drive across America. Wonderful way to spend a week. Even better in a little airplane, but that’s not really a choice for them.

They were visibly terrified at leaving the bubble. The world is a very scary place for them. I guess used needles and feces in the street feel like home to them?

Or maybe ride a motorcycle through the Rockies? Juan Browne lives just north of me, he does that all the time. I’d love to do that.

I think I’m getting old.
Nark

The 5-10-15 minute cities are the death of our civilization.

I do empathize with those who don’t want to drive endlessly. But I think my disdain for road trips stems from the cross Canada drive looking for a job over 9/11…

Airplane…. The best way to travel. Sometimes the slower the better. Reason #686 why the skywagon is the best airplane ever invented. With patience, you can get places, no matter where they are.

Sadly I’m playing Army on a month long exercise.
It’s been nearly a month since my last flight and I’m feeling the effects of withdrawal.

One of my last flights slumming it with a Global. I didn’t bother taking a pic of the Rolls Royce under the other wing.
IMG_4380.jpeg
Twin Beech restoration:
www.barelyaviated.com
Colonel

I kind of feel sorry for anyone that has never ridden a motorcycle or flown a little airplane
(pretty similar - you are out in the weather) across America. They're missing out on an
awful lot. I think this is August in Flagstaff. 6000 foot elevation, 80F so 10,000 foot density
altitude.

Maybe 30 years ago, I remember this guy Peter that made some $$$ from JDS Uniphase
in Ottawa. Something to do with fiber-optic connectors. Anyways, Peter bought a 152
and proceeded to install top of the line (back then) Bendix-King avionics into it so he
could fly it IFR. I am not making this up. Anyways, when he was a student pilot the
CFI at CYSH Bill Whaley authorized him to do his cross-country. To BC and back. I
think it was after that, TC pulled Bill's flight instructor rating, after 30 years of instructing.

One day I had Peter's wife in the front seat of Bobby's Pitts and I joined up inverted on
his megabuck IFR 152. Check out the hair in the front seat. I told him to push all the
knobs in. I had a lot of -ve AOA on, flying that slow.

Pro Tip: flying negative G formation, the effect of bank is reversed. You won't see that
written down anywhere. I remember talking to some Snowbirds who taught themselves
to do that, and they laughed and said they ended up on the other side of the lead at first.