Day dreaming about airplanes.

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
Jamesel

I should add - Google “A-759 FAA TCDS”. It is the “Type Certificate Data Sheet” for the Aeronca series & has almost more information than the handbook does....

TwinOtterFan

Jamesel wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:54 am

Basis for Eligibility for Registration: CAR Standard 507.03(6) - Owner Maintenance Aircraft
Thank you for the clarification, I wasn't sure because of the comma and then the 507.03 part.

And so the type certificate is basically a standard for a US aircraft coming into Canada?

I hadn't thought about freelance instructors there is likely some around. I'm only looking for the tailwheel conversation on it as I am sort of stuck doing my PPL, CPL and instructor rating where I am already registered.

The thought was buy one of these or something similar, use it for my tail wheel conversation then enjoy it and log some hours while also continuing my program. With Covid restrictions there are many days where I can't fly st my school but I could be flying my own plane.

Plus I love the old tail draggers and want to own/fly one anyway.

I asked around at BFC they have something like 40+ instructors and I can only find two that do tail wheel. And BFC doesn't have a plane.

As always thank you for the info. More to think about now. I was wondering about old but certified vs new but amateur built just earlier.
Jamesel

This is not my area of expertise, so excuse my clumsiness.

The 507. Etc refers to the CARs that the Certificate of Airworthiness was issued under.
A Google of CAR 507.06 (or whatever .0??) will show the specific type of C of A issued.

This is heavily simplified, so don’t use it in any argument.
Type Certificates are the paperwork that proves the aircraft has been certified to a country’s standard. Usually it’s the country of manufacture, the A-759 is American, as the Champ 7AC, etc. was built there, and Canada has accepted that Type Certificate as they routinely do for American Aircraft. There are different standards for different weights, sizes, and missions. US uses FAR23 for aircraft under 12,500#, and further divided into Normal, Utility, Acrobatic, & Commuter. Other countries may require specific changes - the Canadian requirements for reinstating the Certificate of the 737Max were slightly more stringent than the FAAs, and Europe a bit more so.
If there is data specified in the Type Certificate, that is what must be installed in the aircraft unless there is a Supplementary Type Certificate (STC) issued for that change.

A Supplemental Type Certificate is a change to the original Type Certificate, that has been engineered, tested & certified, usually by someone other than the original manufacturer.
This can be done for all sorts of reasons - better performance, special missions, safety, replacement of hard to find parts, etc.

For another example, that 7AC I referred to earlier with a 85 hp engine. The 7AC was originally built with a 65 hp engine, and I’ve pulled the stick grip off a couple of times pulling up on it to get a few more feet over the trees on take-off at higher elevations & warm days when close to gross. Got out of the stubble ok, but it kinda sat there in ground effect with a stunned look on it’s chubby little face.

So, we have 2 choices. The TCDS lists several other engines that are available including the C-85 hp, & refers to the Champion procedures that must be followed to comply with the Type Certificate when that engine is installed (bigger dorsal fin is one, IIRC).

Other people & companies have made very similar changes, done some engineering & obtained STCs. Just bolting on a C-85 ‘cause it fits, and others have, ain’t legal.

I’ve been playing with a student’s Cessna 185 with a bigger engine, modified leading edges, Vortex Generators, extra fuel tanks, 3 feet longer wings giving a gross weight 175# heavier, big bush tires, autopilot, good shoulder harnesses, LED lights, bush seats, better tie downs, etc. None of which are on the Type Certificate, but all are covered by STC’s.

Back in the day, what we call the “Annual” now was referred to as a CCI - Condition & Conformity Inspection. The engineer signed it as being in an airworthy Condition & Conformed to the Type Certificate and applicable Supplemental Type Certificates. Still has to be done, just isn’t called that.
TwinOtterFan

Thank you, I was on the right path but that cleared up a lot about the type certification.

The registration listed 2 different CARS which is where my confusion was from on that part.
Slick Goodlin

Here ya go MacRay, way cheaper than the ones you’ve been looking at.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
David MacRay

No Chiefs. I can’t fit beside anyone I know well enough to fly with..

Thank you for posting though.

I’m going to keep looking for bargains but... I’m actually pretty satisfied flying rentals right now.
TwinOtterFan

Man even with the exchange and the GST that might still be a better deal than the two Champs I have been looking at. I do like the side by side seating a bit more.... I also seen a Fleet 80 Canuck but almost double that price CAD.

Only thing I can find close to that price is a Luscombe 8A.
David MacRay

Here we go, this looks pretty good.

https://www.controller.com/listing/for- ... t-aircraft

Anyone import a home built from down under?
Slick Goodlin

TwinOtterFan wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 5:39 pm
Man even with the exchange and the GST that might still be a better deal
I’ve never imported an airplane but as I understand it the process can be problematic and expensive for a certified airplane, especially an old one. Down in the US they allow ‘field mods’ to be signed off on an individual aircraft basis but in Canada we have no equivalent so all that needs to be found and undone.

Paperwork tracking of stuff is different there too with a lot less paper trail. Company I work for bought a King Air out of Tennessee or something and it had these nifty aftermarket exhaust deflectors on it but once registered up here it was immediately grounded until paper on them was produced, which in this case started all the way back at, “Who the hell even made these things?” before moving on to figuring out their serial number, installation date, and all the STC documentation. It can be a bit of a pain, but then again I’m also a giant chicken.
TwinOtterFan

If it was an old bird with plenty of "field mods" you could always import it directly into the OM category. It would still need an inspection or I think its worded it technically requires one lol. but it's far more likely to get your CofA. As long as it meets the OM category requirements.

Commercially or even certified I would definitely be using some type of broker that knows what they are doing.