Where to live now?

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
W5

The old airstrip is now a business park. Too bad. I remember the Lancaster there, and the B-25's

Squaretail

As I recall, I think it was the remains of a rare Halifax. I think it was moved to one of the projects to restore one, or at least some sort of museum, but that was a long time ago.
The details of my life are quite inconsequential...
TwinOtterFan

David MacRay wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:48 pm
I don’t know if you like barbecue but the guy running the pit here knows what he is doing.

https://www.thatbarbqplace.com/
I do... and I will definitely be checking that place out. I ditched propane years ago and use a hardwood pellet grill or my open fire pit to cook almost everything, I rarely turn an oven on 6 months of the year.
TwinOtterFan

That airstrip aside it seems like a nice area, lots to do, cheaper taxes, and houses that are actually affordable. Since getting posted down here we have been living in a shitty little house that is walled off in half that has another family on the other side and we pay double what our mortgage payment would be.
Liquid_Charlie

I was based in Edmonton for a few years and liked the city. It never struck me as a hot bed for getting that all important first job. It has been a few years so things might of changed a little.

I miss whyte ave and blues on whyte - great place for a pint and some good music. I actually lived on Whyte ave close to bonnydoon mall - it was the quiet end and a good local in the mall as well. Best of luck - cheers
"black air has no lift - extra fuel has no weight"
TwinOtterFan

It wasn't my first choice, Thunder Bay was.... But I do not make the calls or even the rules anymore as I am just a civi now. I just follow the wife and she tries her best to push her postings to somewhere I prefer. There are just 5 of them getting posted the other 4 got what they asked for and this time we drew the short straw.

I'm a make the best of it kinda guy now, and I am not like most students, instructing looks great to me, so does tourism flying really. I wasn't always this way, but after 10 years of meeting people on their worst day ever, its a lot easier to make me reflect on my day and realize how lucky I am.
W5

In the Edmonton region I notice quite often postings for the pipelines. Patrol pilot. Also Summit Air at YEG has regular postings.

@ Squaretail. This was the Lancaster:
http://www.timefadesaway.co.uk/strathal ... intro.html
Squaretail

W5 wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:34 pm

@ Squaretail. This was the Lancaster:
http://www.timefadesaway.co.uk/strathal ... intro.html
1975 would have been a long time before I was there. The remnants of the Halifax was still there in about 2002. I think. There were also a few other bits and pieces, but that distinctive tail section stood out.
The details of my life are quite inconsequential...
David MacRay

Maybe I should get a summer home in Madison, SD. I’m pretty sure winter is not good and they would probably kick me out of the student apartment building.

EDIT : Maybe not, he just called Peirre, “out west”.
TwinOtterFan

I watched this before bed last night. Probably an amazing place to learn taildragger. Don't need the endorsement in Canada but I still want to train on them somewhere.