I am missing the radio gene

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
Eric Janson

[quote author=Colonel Sanders link=topic=7448.msg20525#msg20525 date=1510498724]
[quote]Lots of military activity[/quote]

[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malaysia_ ... _Flight_17]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malaysia_ ... _Flight_17[/url]

Do you have ECM and chaff for surface-to-air missiles?

[/quote]

No - but the frequency used by our weather radar [b]should[/b] identify us as civilian. It's a recommendation to have it on whilst flying in the Middle East.

And listen out on the radio including 121.5. I'd say the radio is the most critical piece of equipment we have - especially with the rapidly deteriorating situation in the region.

We operate out of a military base run by the locals - expect the unexpected.

Nark1

[quote author=Eric Janson link=topic=7448.msg20555#msg20555 date=1510561466]
[quote author=Colonel Sanders link=topic=7448.msg20525#msg20525 date=1510498724]
[quote]Lots of military activity[/quote]

[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malaysia_ ... _Flight_17]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malaysia_ ... _Flight_17[/url]

Do you have ECM and chaff for surface-to-air missiles?

[/quote]

No - but the frequency used by our weather radar [b]should[/b] identify us as civilian. It's a recommendation to have it on whilst flying in the Middle East.

And listen out on the radio including 121.5. I'd say the radio is the most critical piece of equipment we have - especially with the rapidly deteriorating situation in the region.

We operate out of a military base run by the locals - expect the unexpected.
[/quote]

I'm on the otherside of that radio, listening alongside the guys ready to shoot down aircraft.  It's pretty easy to tell who is what.

[i]Guys[/i], well not always. 

I was in a place that shall not be named, a sexy US female voice comes over the tactical frequency.  "[i]Target FL 3-2-0 tracking west[/i]."
First thing I say to my crew, was something only a gentleman would say. The crew chief pops and says, "Mr Nark, I bet you its an airbus."  He's only saying that to be a smart ass. It's a continuation of all the airliners that fly in and out of the previous base we were at.  I'd only point out the A320's, and ask him what kind of plane it was. 

Sure enough this eloquent Aphrodite comes back on Tac freq, and says,[i] "XXXXX disregard, civilian [b]AIRBUS[/b]"

[/i]Laughter erupted, and we continued watching the night sky light up with the 500lbs'ers being dropped on ISIS. 
GoBoy

[quote author=Slick Goodlin link=topic=7448.msg20510#msg20510 date=1510460021]
A phone and some extra gas?  You pussy.  Real men are lost with a face full of radiator!
[/quote]

Pietenpol Aircamper C-IKRO  ....I fly this aircraft for the owner once in a while and used it for a TV show I flew in back in July
Its a REAL MANS AIRPLANE......no radios , no brakes, no training wheel(nosewheel), no starter, rudder bar not pedals  , no trim,  no forward vis , open cockpit,  40 hp ...you have to actually fly this airplane.
Slick Goodlin

[quote author=GoBoy link=topic=7448.msg20562#msg20562 date=1510586064]
Pietenpol Aircamper C-IKRO  ....I fly this aircraft for the owner once in a while and used it for a TV show I flew in back in July
Its a REAL MANS AIRPLANE......no radios , no brakes, no training wheel(nosewheel), no starter, rudder bar not pedals  , no trim,  no forward vis , open cockpit,  40 hp ...you have to actually fly this airplane.
[/quote]
Yep, that's her.  I think I took that pic a couple hours after flying your wing out to Brussels.
GoBoy

[quote author=Slick Goodlin link=topic=7448.msg20565#msg20565 date=1510590025]
[quote author=GoBoy link=topic=7448.msg20562#msg20562 date=1510586064]
[/quote]
Yep, that's her.  I think I took that pic a couple hours after flying your wing out to Brussels.
[/quote]

That's right Slicky  Boy  ;D  it was a fun day