Where to live now?

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
Squaretail

TwinOtterFan wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:01 pm
Welp.... Squaretail for the win, Edmonton it is. No timeline yet, I guess with the labor market shortage they can't find people to move the stuff, story is people are getting posted and there stuff is staying behind. So that should be interesting.
Edmonton isn't so bad, you'll enjoy having no PST. As I said, Alberta has lots of flying opportunities. Lot of places will be looking for pilots next year.

The details of my life are quite inconsequential...
TwinOtterFan

Honestly, I was a little annoyed when they came back with Edmonton. But after looking at the housing market I'm feeling better, we can barely afford a house here near Toronto but there I can buy a house easily and my mortgage would be almost half my current rent.

And the amenities for my kids look pretty awesome as well, flight schools look pretty good. I think this may be a good go.
Slick Goodlin

A good friend of mine lives just outside Edmonton, I forget the name of the town but it sounds like there’s some great flying in the area.
TwinOtterFan

I was just looking in St. Albert, right outside of Edmonton, basically next to the base and has a flight club and FTU right down the hwy.
David MacRay

I suspect Slick’s friend might be in Parkland. The new airport there was basically built by folks displaced by the unmentionables that closed the muni.
Squaretail

Parkland is just the county or MD, the "new" airport has all the refugees from the Muni. Nearest town to there is probably Spruce Grove which is also equidistant to Villeneuve airport west of St Albert. With Villeneuve, Parkland, Cooking Lake and Wetaskawin all having flight schools, you should have lots of choice to train and or work. All within an hour of Namao. There's even a gravel strip in St Albert if you get your own plane.
TwinOtterFan

Squaretail wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:24 am
There's even a gravel strip in St Albert if you get your own plane.
Is there? Do you know what its called? hangers?
Squaretail

I think there was a couple there. Not sure what state it is in now, was probably 20 years since I landed there last. Mostly ultralights parked there and one forlorn Cessna 210 that looked like it took a flak hit with a six inch hole in one of the flaps.
TwinOtterFan

I did some snooping on google earth and there is a gravel strip just north of St Albert's but it looks to have been taken over by some storage units and a lot of junk, you can definitely make out what used to be a runway.

Was also looking in Cardiff, doesn't look like to bad of a place to live either.
David MacRay

I don’t know if you like barbecue but the guy running the pit here knows what he is doing.

https://www.thatbarbqplace.com/