Excellent Practice Flight Maneuvers

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
cgzro

One I love is an aggressive high slip on final. When we check pilots out on our old WWiI tail draggers its fun to watch the first forced approach. A high agressive slip allows for a very precise landing in an unfamiliar plane and invariably is a sign to me to relax that things will be ok on the landing.

The falling leaf is also a superb practice. You can do 50 stalls in a minute vs one or two per flight. Also the number of higher time pilots that lift a wing with aileron in a stall is horrendous. In that crash in Taiwan you can see the attempt and its results in the video.

Strega

Falling leaf is something I do in checkouts in any aircraft that is "reasonable" to do so....

Most ham fisted "4 bars" wind up entering a spin after about 4 seconds of having the stick all the way back.. :)
Colonel

How difficult the falling leaf is, depends
on the airframe.  Big vertical fin, easy.
Small vertical fin, hard.
cgzro

Falling leaf and aggressive slipped approaches are still two of my favorites, also like one wheel landings and downwind landings.

In an aerobatic plane by far the best thing to learn is a snap roll. If you can control a plane at full power autorotating at various angles you "get it". Otherwise a high AOA departure at full power with a lot of flap hanging out in a non acro plane is a good eye opener for most people.

Id also encourage going up in the circuit in crappy but legal weather alone., strong winds, rain, etc. A pilot should not have their first encounter with crap weather on a cross country with passangers. A bit of exposure in a safe envirnment and alone is not a bad idea.

Colonel

[quote]the best thing to learn is a snap roll. If you can control a plane at full power autorotating[/quote]

Indeed.

[url= Connell[/url]
cgzro

Like many of us I watched that video and for the life of me I cant understand. He did a 1/2 cuban 8 from a few hundred feet to I guess 800 ft then did a couple of rolls on the 45 down, ultra simple and safe. Except after it looks like he was trying to see the MX and was wagging back and forth to find it. I did not see any snaps or even what looked like high AOA and 45 degrees down is pretty shallow and you only need a few hundred feet and 4G to stop the descent. Is there some other video or better view on what happened? That one does not seem quite like the usual "snap tumble once too many" but perhaps its just the video angle?