I have a genuine question to ask.

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
mcrit

[quote author=Trey Kule link=topic=9039.msg24790#msg24790 date=1537490494]
I have a question about getting old.
When does one stop saying I am a pilot and start saying I was a pilot?
[/quote]

The person doing your eulogy will say you [i]were[/i] a pilot; but as long as you're around to introduce yourself you [i]are[/i] a pilot.

John Swallow

I don't know about the early days of the Sabre, but by the mid- to late-fifties, everybody wore 'g' suits.  It did away with having to 'strain as at the stool' to negate the debilitating effects of sustained 'g'.  As noted in the link, the problem is with blood being pulled away from the brain  and a gradual onset of 'g' force is easier to counter than the sudden application of same. 

I don't remember any talk of higher-than-normal blood pressure being a counter to the effects.  Indeed, then, as now, high BP was frowned upon. 

It was interesting that when we returned to instruct on the T-33, anti-'g' suits were not worn and we pulled 5-6 'g' much more frequently than when on the '86.  There was a lot of 'straining-at-the-stool' action...

An explanation of G-induced Loss Of Conciousness...

[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G-LOC]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G-LOC[/url]
mcrit

I think the contempt certain of our youth show for their elders is a result of or education system.  Our current education system teaches that everything about our society is wrong.  Our elders are the ones that built such a "wrong" society, therefore the old are worthy of contempt. 

Have I mentioned that we need to burn our education system to the ground and rebuild it from scratch? 
Chuck Ellsworth

Have they ever gave a thought to how aviation has evolved into what it is today and considered if the older generations had not kept flying they would not have today's extremely reliable and advanced flight computers that make it safe to fly them.
Colonel

We just don't know shit about flying.

[img width=500 height=362][/img]