Plane that landed on Calgary street had enough fuel to reach airport

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
Colonel

Here's an old, lean experienced guy flying one of Kelly Johnson's aircraft:

[youtube][/youtube]

He doesn't fly as well as a young regional Canadian pilot, but he tries.

Note the chubby youngster in the right seat hanging on.  I'm not sure
he was enjoying the ride much, but I am sure that he doesn't have
one tenth of the skill of the old guy.  You know, because experience
and knowledge and skill aren't important in aviation.

John Swallow

[quote]"10 seconds, Princess.  One pilot, one airplane, one engine, one nuke."[/quote]

Most competent pilots could hit their TsOT within +/- 5 seconds.  It was not actually that difficult.  Once on track, you used the 'go fast' lever and an easy formula to gain/maintain your timing. (At least for visual flight.  I never flew any radar prediction trips so I have no idea of their difficulty.)  (Full disclosure:  never flew the '104 either, but while training pilots on the CF-5 for the '104 course, we used the same technique)

And TC does not have a poor opinion of military pilots.  Quite the opposite, AAMOF.  For better or for worse, several have wound up working for the company in a variety of positions over the years. 

In many respects, flying for the military is a lot simpler than flying in the civilian world.  The majority of my military flying (nearly 25 years of it) on several aircraft types was out of the same base i.e. you landed back at the same airport from whence you departed.  Most trips were less than two hours.  There were strict rules about weather, minimum fuel states, etc. If there was the same level of supervision in the civilian world, things would be different.  Indeed, when I was in the military on an operational squadron, fifty percent of the flying time was devoted to training.  Try telling your civilian boss that of the fifty hours a month you fly, twenty-five hours will have to be devoted to non-revenue in-house training....

Colonel

[quote]TC does not have a poor opinion of military pilots[/quote]

Hahahahahahahaahahahaahahahahahahahahahahaha

I see you avoided the cesspool that is Tower C entirely.